History EE source evaluation

AuStIn

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Extended Essay forum, or this one. I am working on my history extended essay, and i am a considerable way in. Background info; I don't take IB history; I last took history at IGCSE level. My supervisor/mentor  for my EE is an english teacher, and is frankly incompetent at the technical history stuff. She has absolutely no idea on how i could tackle the evaluation..

Therefore, my brothers and sisters of this IB forum, could you help me out?

I believe this would be similar to that of Part C for History...so I'm giving you information based off of that. For source evaluation, you want to analyze two of your main resources (preferably books- at least that's what the teachers at my school like) with OPVL.

I don't know if you've heard of that or not but OPVL stands for

O - Origin - What type of document is it? When and where was it made? Who made it?

P - Purpose - Intended audience? Why was it written (what purpose)?

V - Value - Explain the value of your document to historians and provide examples from your sources. Refer to your purpose and origin to back up the values you write about

L - Limitations - Limitations of the document, providing examples from your sources to back up your choices. How does your source limit historians in understanding the event (or whatever content your source is providing)?

You'll have to do some research for Origin and purpose of your source and if you can't find anything...then you'll probably have to choose another source.

Hope this helps :)

Well the ones that you've gotten the most or the most valuable evidence from, is the two sources I would suggest. 

And if they're all equal, then maybe research them and choose them based on their purpose and origin (better known author, better time period..etc. and then you can talk about those for values and/or limitations as well)

You posted a copy of this topic that I already replied to, but just to reiterate: IB DOES NOT WANT explicit OPVL analysis (but IbTrojan's overview is great for IAs and for the IB exam!).

Here's a quote straight from the History EE report:

A worrying development in terms of evaluation is the fact that individual supervisors and 
entire centres have instructed candidates that it is appropriate to adopt an Internal 
Assessment approach here to evaluation. This led to candidates writing discrete sections, 
labelled ‘Evaluation’ and then proceeding to evaluate (usually) two sources for origins, 
purpose, value and limitations. This is not an Internal Assessment investigation and 
evaluative skills should be integrated within the main body and not dealt with in this way – or
in the form of an annotated bibliography.