Another History IA Question

edris44

So I'm writing an IA for History of the Americas (HL) and I want to write about the Panama Canal Treaties in 1977. Do you guys think "To what extent did the signing of the Panama Canal Treaties signal a shift in US foreign policy that would introduce human rights into policymaking?" is a good question? I feel like it may be a bit too broad. Help?

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with mine as well: To what extend did the success in breaking Germany Navy enigma- transmitted messages help the Allies to win the World War II?

Is it too broad? In my analysis part I would talk about the Battle of Atlantic.

OR sould I better use this one:To what extend did the success in breaking Germany Navy enigma- transmitted messages help the Allies to turn the development of World War II between 1938 - 1942? It just have to do something with the Battle of Atlantic.

Guys I REALLY need help. Any suggestions?

I don't know too much about the enigma-transmitted messages used in World War II...but based on the phrasing of the question, it doesn't seem broad. It seems pretty well focused but I might add WHO was successful in breaking the messages. Just for clarification. You also used "to what extent..." so no worries there :P 

And if you're talking about one specific battle, it sounds very well-focused. Make sure it's not TOO focused so that your analysis seems repetitive though 

For the second question though, I don't think I understand what you mean by "turn the development." If I didn't know much about WW2, I think I'd be slightly confused by the that. If you plan on using the second question, I would suggest you change the wording of that section.

Other than that, it sounds good to me! :) Hope I helped!