Am I on the right track?

Hey Everyone! 

Firstly, thanks for taking your time out and offering help. I am one of those people who are never good enough. Its like YAY I got 90% thats a 7, while everyone congratulates me I just fight with myself in the head saying that I could have very easily gotten 100%. So good is never good for me. Just recently I got accepted in to the Senior Prefect Team for my school but now I am just worrying and striving for the head team. 

I am planning on majoring in biological sciences or biochemistry. I am checking out some universities here over the next week to finalise on one. Like everyone my aim is to get into an elite college, but I am worried that my character profile is not good enough to stand out amongst the crowd. I would love for all of you to give some valuable suggestions on my profile so far: 

- Head of PR and Advertising for Night Fest (an annual school fair) 

- Student Librarian 

- Tutoring GCSE students in sciences 

- Tutoring young kids from troubled backgrounds

- Member of the Student Council since 2013

- Making a Difference council since 2013 and next chair 

- Member of the Senior Prefect Team 2015-2016 

- Performed in various school and community functions for 5 years and counting 

- Writing articles for the school newspaper 

- Member of the House Leadership Team 2014-2015

- Head of Inter House Food Drive 2015 

- Head of A student led Charity Ball Taking place in 2016 

- Trained in Indian Classical dancing for 5 years 

- Have had some training in aerial arts and zumba 

- Member of the show choir who perform in old age homes and to raise funds for charities 

- Have had 2 years of training in playing the piano 

HKU, HKUST and CUHK - 3 great universities in HK have summer programmes. I am waiting for the application procedures to begin to enrol. I have already enrolled in the Junior Science Institute programme which is one day workshop in HKU taking place in March. 

THANKS A LOTTT!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You have a lot of activities, and your grades seem to be good- that's great, but one thing I noted was that most of your activities don't really reflect on your interest in biological sciences/biochemistry. For example, is there a Science Club/Science CCA in your school? Is it possible to take part in any Science competitions? Or, are your articles for the school newspaper science-related?

You tutor GCSE learners in science- that's great, but does it really show that you have a passion for biological sciences/chemistry?

Of course, not all universities are very particular about that. Based on personal experience, if you're not applying for a scholarship on the summer programme, your character profile should be okay :)

In all honestly, it all comes down to the criteria of different universities- Some universities might prefer grades over activities, and vice versa. However, since your grades are really good as well, I think that shouldn't be a huge problem, imo the only thing now is what the university wants in its application- Some require you to write essays, some require interviews, etc.

This is just my opinion though, I'm not entirely sure what the requirements are in the summer program in your area.

Best of luck though! :D

There is a science club in our school which I have recently joined! During the first term, all their meeting coincided with my meetings for the annual school fair hence I din't get a chance to be in it. All in all, I have spoken to my CAS supervisors and its quite hard to do something within the boundaries of school to have lots of science related activities, however I think with my summer courses and workshops as well as my EE which I basing on drugs and medicine (as close to bio I can get with it) and like you said college essays I should be fine. 

I intend to apply to UCLA, Imperial, UCL - to name a few.  I am still trying to make a list because biochemistry is very specific and with the whole "you don't need to declare your major till year 2" its quite hard to figure out if they have the course. For example MIT, not the best for biology but I think they do have biochemistry but you need to do BSc Biology and then you do courses on biochemistry. Idk if I am making sense since I am very confused. UK universities were easier to comprehend as they had my courses. 

But of course, Thanks for your suggestions :)