Group 4 project = don't curse!- editted by admin

hk213

Hi, i'm in the second year of Biology SL and as you probably all know Group 4 project is coming up, in fact it starts this month.(well it's just a sightseeing and deciding a topic)

So far, all I know about the project is my assigned partners from other sciences.(chem,bio...)

Other than that, i'm totally stuck that I just feel like i want to go and punch a random hobo in the face... ;)

Well, since i neither have a bloody clue on how to approach the project nor decide what the topic is i feel like my life is going to be ruined. ;)

Basically my whole point is if any one of you lads who has already finished the project, felt the same way as i am at the begging. I know it's too early to be pessimistic but i

just need some assurance that i'm not the only one left out.

If there is any advice on how to do the project well, plz tell me :help:

For our G4s (which happened in IB1), we came up with a topic, then focused on the bio, chem, and phys aspects of it. The main theme for all the G4s was the environment, if I recall correctly.

I don't know about you but it didn't count for any marks. Maybe the teacher used it as a guide for marking the uh... personal stuff criterion (forget what they're called).

And perhaps take a look at the G4 thread? I think there's one anyway. And don't panic - you'll be fine.

Nah dont worry dude. We had like three days to do everything. I met my group members for the first time three days before it was due. The group 4 project doesnt really matter. Its your "personal skills" that matter as mentioned by moneyfaery. If you have seen the criteria it just depends on whether you put effort, or collaborate well e.t.c. So the project does not matter its how you do it.

I would say dont worry. Besides its barely 3% of your final grade. I think, I am not sure. But I know its very small component.

Nah dont worry dude. We had like three days to do everything. I met my group members for the first time three days before it was due. The group 4 project doesnt really matter. Its your "personal skills" that matter as mentioned by moneyfaery. If you have seen the criteria it just depends on whether you put effort, or collaborate well e.t.c. So the project does not matter its how you do it.

I would say dont worry. Besides its barely 3% of your final grade. I think, I am not sure. But I know its very small component.

well the thing is.... this is going to be a big project as it counts for 12% or my term marks... I know it's really stupid.

Also, considering the importance of this project, I got about 2 1/2 months until my presentation. Apparently, we are going to this beach place where its environmentally preserved so that you can a glimpse of what natural habitat is ;)

Hate my life :help:

Edited by hk213

well i believe for IBO the only thing that they really want for a grade past the 2008 graduates is the personal grades, they no longer want the rest. group for isn't bad at all. i think there is an old thread about group for topics that peopl did (i can't find it right now), but that might give you an idea of what other did, and what you should do, and i one of the threads had a sample (http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=289&st=0&start=0).

i had my group 4 project done last week. It was a really difficult time for me and my group coz we chose to work on environmental study and focused on thermal pollution. So we compare two rivers which one of them is cleaner than the other. For the bio students *include me*, we observe the bacteria growth if we change the temperature. It was a loooooong experiment. It takes around 4 days to done it all and get the results. For the physics, it measures the flow rate and specific heat of the water. And for chemistry, it measures the pH level of the water due to temperature changes. Our teachers *supervisors* give us 2 weeks to complete it all, including the lab reports from each aspects and also the presentation. It was horrible! We struggle a lot coz of this group 4. Glad we done it and presented it really good, even though there are several questions that we can't answer correctly.

the main point of the group 4 project is combining your knowledge with other ppl and need a really good teamwork. coz if your friend needs help, just help them. This group 4 project really interesting but also killing. haha..

ok,that's all i wanna share about my group 4 journey. ;)

Hi, i'm in the second year of Biology SL and as you probably all know Group 4 project is coming up, in fact it starts this month.(well it's just a sightseeing and deciding a topic)

So far, all I know about the project is my assigned partners from other sciences.(chem,bio...)

Other than that, i'm totally stuck that I just feel like i want to go and punch a random hobo in the face... :help:

Well, since i neither have a bloody clue on how to approach the project nor decide what the topic is i feel like my life is going to be ruined. ;)

Basically my whole point is if any one of you lads who has already finished the project, felt the same way as i am at the begging. I know it's too early to be pessimistic but i

just need some assurance that i'm not the only one left out.

If there is any advice on how to do the project well, plz tell me ;)

it doesn't really count for anything towards your IB grade though...

and once i started IB, i leanred that my report card marks don't matter....

basically, design an experiment like you do in chem bi and phys...carry it out...and lab report....

how to do a good job; don't worry about your experiemtn, owrk well with your group...and sound selfish to say this, but make yourself shine....

If you take three sciences, I think its the same as I mentioned before. You focus on one but contribute a little. Because like I said its how you work not what you are working on. Ofocurse that does not mean that you have to neglect the whole project but try to go with the personal skills criteria. The criteria I think is the same for all experimental science subjects.

Ow by the way we also had DT along with Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

If you're going to a beach, that's exactly what our G4s had to do.

except, we went to a mud beach.

its quite simple, really.

Well, im not sure how effective/good these experiments are (considering our bio teacher who seems to know nothing about IB), but some help topics:

CHEM: salinity- thats the topic i chose. (like depth vs. salinity)

bio: counting, using quadrants, other methods

physics: i have no idea or any recollection of what the other groups did .

-we didnt have a physics member in our group..

you can do photosynthesis i guess for perhaps any plants there

-effects of salinity on growth of plants anything of that sort i suppose?

i dunno, i thought that going to the beach was a VERY unfair approach/topic because its very advantageous to biologists, and very hard on physicists.