Stuck choosing Ib subjects - Need help :\

amxrita

So I'm currently in my last year of MYP and we have been given the whole IB presentation today and all. So I've been already thinking of what I want to do. And I'm really interested in Graphic Design. In our school they tell us to choose subjects that we like and will enjoy. I'm a person who stresses out quite easily I guess or well a negative thinker.  I'm known as an organized student and all but I'm full hopelessness. But anyway, I've decided to do:

Visual Arts - HL 

Design Technology - HL 

Unknown - HL 

Spanish - SL 

English - SL (I'm not sure whether to do Language & Lit or just lit)

Math - SL

Now for the unknown one, I really don't know what to do. It's the subjects from Group 3. In my school they offer, psych, business, history, econ and geo. I do know that I really don't like History or Geo, so that's out of my list. And I'm left with psych (which I find somewhat interesting, but I'm not sure what i'm going to be dealing with), business & econ (I'm not sure what i'm dealing with. But my dad suggests I take one of them as it matches up and all). 

I reaaalllly need help :\ 

Your combination looks fine for what you have decided to pursue. Your workload seems pretty balanced too.

I would suggest you take economics HL as it is in accordance with your combination.

Also, have you considered the option of computer science. If your school offers it you should probably take that in place of economics.

It all comes down to you at the end...

Okay so you know that you may be interested in Psychology so I'd suggest you go over the syllabus. I found one here for you but it's a little out of date http://www.ncbis.net/Editor/EditorImages/Psychology.pdf

But I'd still suggest you check it out to see if you're interested enough in it, to take it. 

Otherwise, think about what you may want to go into (if you've thought about it) but if you don't know, then look up career paths based on the courses you HAVE chosen. Or look up paths that business, econ and psychology COULD open for you and see which one is more suitable for you.

But if you're simply looking for a course to your liking then I would just suggest to search up the overview of the course and see which one either

a) suits the other courses you've taken best (fits your schedule well)

b) interests you the most

c) fits the career path you'd want to take 

All the best! :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Since I take Economics at HL I'll tell you that it's really straightforward and easy to grasp. It's mostly theory-based with calculations at HL (no math at SL). Business & Management HL is easier than Economics according to my peers and it is said to be considered as a soft subject. I don't take Psychology at HL but a have quite a lot of friends who do and they've said that it's really easy as well because according to them, there's only 1 paper you need to take for your final examinations, and apparently it's just to write an essay within the time limit. According to my friends, Psychology is just about learning and knowing the theories and case studies and to apply those into your essay. Another thing is the essay questions are said to follow the syllabus points so all you need to do is learn the syllabus. Look around and download Economics/B&M/Psychology syllabuses for the IBDP to decide. (P.S. Psychology is funner than Econ and B&M). Your other subjects seem pretty balanced so it wouldn't exactly matter which of these subjects you take at HL!

• 2 months later...

I don't take Psychology at HL but a have quite a lot of friends who do and they've said that it's really easy as well because according to them, there's only 1 paper you need to take for your final examinations, and apparently it's just to write an essay within the time limit. According to my friends, Psychology is just about learning and knowing the theories and case studies and to apply those into your essay. Another thing is the essay questions are said to follow the syllabus points so all you need to do is learn the syllabus. 

Well, not really. HL Psychology consists of 3 papers. On paper 1 you have to write 4 essays within 2 hours and on paper 2 you have to write 2 essays within 2 hours. Now, for Paper 3 you are given an unseen case study and you are asked to write 3 essays about it.