Arithmetic sequence, help?

AndovarEdoras

OK, are you sure the  questions are in order?  cause what i did is ---

STEP (1) find out the common difference ---- (16-10)/2  = 3   --- --(Question b)

STEP (2) use the arithmetic equation -- a + (n-1)(d) = Un    so a +( 3 - 1 )(3) = 10 , a = 4 (question a)

STEP (3) use the sum of arithmetic equation --- plug all the numbers. Sn = n/2(2u1+(n-1)d)  =  20/2 * ( 2*4 + (20-1)3) = 650. 

I hope it is the right answer and just send me message if i i didn't explain it fairly well. I am not a good teacher. :D

Good luck

STEP (1) find out the common difference ---- (16-10)/2  = 3   --- --(Question b)

STEP (2) use the arithmetic equation -- a + (n-1)(d) = Un    so a +( 3 - 1 )(3) = 10 , a = 4 (question a)

STEP (3) use the sum of arithmetic equation --- plug all the numbers. Sn = n/2(2u1+(n-1)d)  =  20/2 * ( 2*4 + (20-1)3) = 650. 

I hope it is the right answer and just send me message if i i didn't explain it fairly well. I am not a good teacher. :D

Good luck

Yes thats the order the questions were in. I also got those answers but i was unsure if i even did it correctly. Just like you, i solved the difference before the first term.

Good luck

Yes thats the order the questions were in. I also got those answers but i was unsure if i even did it correctly. Just like you, i solved the difference before the first term.

OH 

you can put those into simultaneous equation 

for question(a) ---  a + (3-1)(d) = 10 and a + (5-1)(d)    = 16, than rearranges it ,  take d as the subject and it will bring you to the answer a =4 

Edited by Guest

Good luck

OH 

you can put those into simultaneous equation 

for question(a) ---  a + (3-1)(d) = 10 and a + (5-1)(d)    = 16, than rearranges it ,  take d as the subject and it will bring you to the answer a =4 

I used the simultaneous equation to solve it like this. (I had 2-3min left on the clock before the exam ended to do this entire task, so i panicked and did the first thing that seemed logical to do..)