CAS questions

Milla

Hi!

Do you need to do one hour creativity, action and service every week, or just 50 hours total?

I already have over 50 hours for creativity and action, and im close to 50 for service, but my teacher says I have to find a new activity for service that I can do for one hour each week. Is this really required? 

And, do you know if volunteering for amnesty international would count for service?  :D

Edited by Milla

Hi, you only need 150 hours of C,A,S in total, but including at least one project, which is an activity that spans over three months or more and incorporates either two or more of the Creativity, Action, Service components.

You do not need to do an hour each week, this isn't what the IBO specifies. However, if your school's CAS coordinator has set this as a strict rule, you may want to follow it for now, or just talk to him/her about it. I'm presuming they're basically just doing that to get the students motivated into doing the work and completing hours efficiently, as many students who are given the freedom tend to leave it last minute if they will. 

But really, you shouldn't be all that intimidated if you are, because ultimately, it's only CAS, and is a component of the IB Diploma you'll just need to satisfy, and you won't be in trouble for not completing an hour a week, that's just utter bull feces to be quite frank, if your school is setting this rule, I don't believe they have the right to punish you for not doing so.

As for volunteering, yes, it would count for service, this should be fine as you'd be working for Amnesty for no money or anything else in exchange, and the organisation is working towards a good cause for helping with issues concerned with human rights, so that fulfils the Service component of CAS.