London School of Economics

King112

Hey all,

I was checking on the LSE website and it spoke about HL math. I want to do econ/finance. I'm doing SL math, and am wondering if that will mean that I wont get accepted. Does anyone have any experience here? Thanks 

Check the course requirements. Does it say 7 required in HL Math? Most of LSE's econs courses do. It is also common knowledge that LSE prefers to see students doing HL math, even for courses that don't explicitly state HL math. 

Now, does this mean you have no chance of gaining admission? Not at all. 

The most obvious thing you could do is to contact your IB Coordinator and ask them to let you do HL math.

If this is somehow not an option, you could also sit for the STEP examinations and achieve an excellent score in them. A 1, 1 in STEP II and III is usually sufficient for entry into Cambridge Mathematics, so I'd imagine its okay for this too. You could show that you have more than the required skill in math, to the LSE admissions people. 

Regarding the A level/IB comparison - I gave tuition to kids in my school who weren't doing too well, so I am quite well placed to comment on this. 

I felt the difficulty - if that's what you're considering - between the two programs went something like this:

Tier 1: IB SL Math studies

Tier 2: A level Math, IB SL Math

Tier 3: A level further math

Tier 3.5: IB HL Math

Tier 4: A level Additional further math, IB HL Further Maths 

To clear up any confusion: I rated IB HL math as more difficult that A level further math because the IB HL questions are simply much more tricky and challenging in the exam. While A level further math students learn a bit more content, questions are by and large familiar, and do not place much pressure on the students (except for the last question or two, perhaps). 

• Like 1

Alright. Thank you so much yii yann.

Cant do HL math (not mathematically oriented) but will do the other stuff you suggested

Hey, 

Not mathematically oriented = you're gonna have a really bad time in any of LSE's econs or finance courses. They're supposed to be highly quantitative - HL Math is just the first step! 

STEP is actually harder than HL Math. 

I was thinking you couldn't take HL math because your school doesn't offer it or something. 

You could consider economics in another university - PPE at oxford for example doesn't *require* any math qualification (apart from GCSE math), although most students have taken math to at least AS level. You're doing SL math so you're in the clear.