Jane Eyre

Hi

I am officially starting the IB on Monday - however I went on a 'teambuilding trip' with my future class recently, and we were all given a copy of this Charlotte Bronte novel to read.

I'm betting that this will lead to some tiresome, pull-your-hair-out essay on the imagery, or some such.

Does anyone know more about this subject? Has anyone done the 'Jane Eyre thang' before?

PS - I LOVE this site. I found it a few weeks ago and this is my first post - I'm going to print out all the syllibi for every subject I'm taking. You''ll probably see a lot of my posts in the future. 8-)

Jane Eyre is one of the books I'm writing my EE on. But I'm not writing specifically about the literary aspects, more about the social ones.

I'm 1/4 of the way through the book and it's still interesting. That probably because I watched the movie before I read the book. The latest one (it has several episodes) by BBC is excellent and really makes the story worth your while.

I was originally given the book as summer reading and never read it. Which is a shame, since my EE rough draft is due in 4 days and I'm still ploughing through.

Your teacher will probably give you some background info on Gothic literature and social customs at the time. The parts with blood and gore are easy to analyze if you know about Gothic literature. It's not a hard book really.

[quote name='The_Jammy_Witch' post='23442' date='Sep 6 2008, 07:19 PM']Hi

I am officially starting the IB on Monday - however I went on a 'teambuilding trip' with my future class recently, and we were all given a copy of this Charlotte Bronte novel to read.

I'm betting that this will lead to some tiresome, pull-your-hair-out essay on the imagery, or some such.

Does anyone know more about this subject? Has anyone done the 'Jane Eyre thang' before?

PS - I LOVE this site. I found it a few weeks ago and this is my first post - I'm going to print out all the syllibi for every subject I'm taking. You''ll probably see a lot of my posts in the future. :P [/quote]

imagery in Jane Eyre? all i know that there's a lot of foreshadowing, the big manor of Rochester and the trees...the wedding dress thing just creep the hell outta me
i read it in CHinese..as a language B book....so yeah...might be different in terms of understanding 'cause it's a translated work..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in my first couple of weeks of IB, but I have read Jane Eyre and I have to do it for Groups of Works, and I thought it was pretty interesting. I don't think you'll end up doing all the imagery stuff because there are a couple of pretty interesting themes to talk about - the really prominent one IS feminism, like Emily said.

I read it in English, by the way. I'm actually Chinese, but I can't imagine reading anything like that in Chinese. O.o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read Jane Eyre, choosing it on impulse for a book report. At first I didn't know what to expect, but I ended up loving it! I think all it takes is loving language itself, because that is one of the most interesting aspect of Jane Eyre, as with most classics. If you've started reading it already, you've probably read through a chapter in Jane Eyre wherein Jane describes his stout cousin.

Think of it this way--in modern day literature, or even in colloquial language, most people would like describe fat people as simply being fat; perhaps they might add something a little more, such as the person cheeks being full or his clothes seem to be choking him, but nothing much. However, Jane Eyre is able to depict him in such a way that he's absolutely repulsive (sorry, I can't remember the wording at all, so I can't show it to you at the moment), and you can actually imagine it.

Another thing to note is the sophisticated humor that Bronte writes. I vaguely remember (and thus it is not the exact wording) a part wherein Jane, as a young child, is being questioned by the owner (Mr. Brocklehurst) of the school Jane's aunt sends her too. This is after Jane's aunt accuses her of being dishonest:

Mr. Brocklehurst: No sight so sad as that of a naughty child, especially that of a little girl. Do you know where liars go to after death?
Jane: Liars go to hell, sir.
Mr. Brocklehurst: And what is hell?
Jane: It is a pit full of fire.
Mr. Brocklehurst: And should you like to go to hell?
Jane: No, sir.
Mr. Brocklehurst: And what should you do in order to avoid it?
Jane: I shall keep in good health, and not die, sir.

:) It's pretty amusing, give it a shot. I hope you enjoy it! :)