Bilingual Diploma

Cami

Some universities DO require it. I have a German friend who is living abroad and wants to go to university in Germany. She has to take English A1 AND German self-taught A1. They are pretty strict there about requirements, so I would advise to check if it's REALLY necessary.

For example, I thought I needed a bilingual diploma to go to a Finnish university. Turns out I don't.

Also, it's a LOT of work to do by yourself. I couldn't even get my first book read, so 11 was too much. I dropped Finnish A1 after 3 months in first year.

A bilingual diploma might be good if you want to study languages in university, because it already proves a lot about your abilities. If you DON'T want to study languages, just don't take it. You will lose points and the coursework isn't easy.

Well for me, it's English that i could raise from B HL to A2 HL and get a Bilingual...

However, im almost certain that my 7 would become a 6 or 5.

I dont need to to an "English language test" when i apply to a University in the UK with Eng. B HL... right?

I know that Oxford requires "IB English SL" ...which is what?

Some universities DO require it. I have a German friend who is living abroad and wants to go to university in Germany. She has to take English A1 AND German self-taught A1. They are pretty strict there about requirements, so I would advise to check if it's REALLY necessary.

For example, I thought I needed a bilingual diploma to go to a Finnish university. Turns out I don't.

Also, it's a LOT of work to do by yourself. I couldn't even get my first book read, so 11 was too much. I dropped Finnish A1 after 3 months in first year.

A bilingual diploma might be good if you want to study languages in university, because it already proves a lot about your abilities. If you DON'T want to study languages, just don't take it. You will lose points and the coursework isn't easy.

You don't need two A1 languages for a bilingual diploma. You can also do A1+A2 and you'll get it. You also get a bilingual diploma if you do an EE in a language other than your A1, like blindpet, who did his EE in Danish B and thus received a bilingual dip. Btw I can tell you A2 English is a breeze since you don't have to do anything (no, not even read the books, just read 3-4 and it'll be enough), even at HL. And I find it strange that you found Finnish A1 difficult (even with another A1), I've found it very easy (as easy as EnA2), and it's not graded very strictly, so you chances of getting a 7 in it are much higher than in English A1. Then again, self-taught might be another deal (I'm assuming this is the case since you're IP is from Israel), having a teacher is of course very helpful.

Honestly, here's my opinion on the Bilingual Diploma. If you're not aiming to become a translator or something like that in the future, than I really don't see the point in that. For example, I speak both French & English fluently but I'm taking advantage of my spanish to (hopefully) be fluent in Spanish by the time I go to college in two years. It will probably impress colleges that you speak both languages, but you don't necessarily have to take both of them to prove that ... you know what I mean? That's what the applications are for 8-) Hmm.. maybe that's just me though.

Some universities DO require it. I have a German friend who is living abroad and wants to go to university in Germany. She has to take English A1 AND German self-taught A1.

According to this you don't have to take German A1 to go to a university in Germany - any A1 language will do. If they are in doubt about your proficiency in German they'll make you take a test. Just btw. 8-)

Edited by Max

Is it any good to have a Bilingual Diploma?

If i were to aim for a Bilingual, I'm sure I'd lose 1-2 points... Is it worth it?

What does it do?

:)

well...if you're planning on studying languages, then of course....

and also if you're not planning on studying science, then yeah, dual languages is a bit easier...imo, two sciences is harder...

You don't need two A1 languages for a bilingual diploma. You can also do A1+A2 and you'll get it. You also get a bilingual diploma if you do an EE in a language other than your A1, like blindpet, who did his EE in Danish B and thus received a bilingual dip. Btw I can tell you A2 English is a breeze since you don't have to do anything (no, not even read the books, just read 3-4 and it'll be enough), even at HL. And I find it strange that you found Finnish A1 difficult (even with another A1), I've found it very easy (as easy as EnA2), and it's not graded very strictly, so you chances of getting a 7 in it are much higher than in English A1. Then again, self-taught might be another deal (I'm assuming this is the case since you're IP is from Israel), having a teacher is of course very helpful.

I don't exactly know your situation,

but i guess it really depends on how certain you are of the fact that you'll lose a couple of marks by aiming for a bil. dip.

cos, if you're really gonna lose those marks, don't bother. cos at unis, they look at your marks, not really on the subject you do (imho)

but.. in my personal opinion, i'm always for aiming high. who says you can't achieve equally good scores in the bil. dip? ^^

newais,

good luck!

cheers,

B