History IA- Historiography

Mathemagician

Hi guys,

So I'm starting Part B of my history IA (Summary of Evidence), and I just wanted to ask where do I include historiography? Do I include it in Part B or Part D? In Part B I'm supposed to use factual knowledge (from sources) that supports my argument/answer to the research question, and in this case I can only use one-sided historiography, if you know what I mean. I can only bring up views of historians who support my argument/answer to the research question (it wouldn't make sense to bring up views of historians who are against my argument/answer to the research question in this section as Part B is factual knowledge that supports my argument/answer). However, my topic includes historiography giving both sides (supporting my argument/answer, and opposing it), but in Part B it'd make sense to only use one of the two sides (the one that supports my argument/answer), so where do I include the opposing side?

I'm just confused about where and how to use historiography in my history IA. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Mathemagician

I understand that. However, my teacher said that EVERYTHING in Part B is all what I can use for analysis in Part D. So if I don't include something in Part B, how can I refer to it in Part D? Hence, doesn't that make it necessary to include historiography in Part B, or otherwise I won't be able to include it in Part D?

Edited by Mathemagician

Hey!

You're right - if you want to use it in section D, it has to be in section B. So include historiography in section B, but state it as "Historian _____ asserts that _____" (or words to that effect). By writing it that way, what you're saying in section B is still factual because the historian did say that. Then you can still use it as historiography/interpretation in section D! Hope this helped.

• Like 1

Just a worry though-

In Part B I'm supposed to include factual information that supports the answer to my question. In that case, I can only use one-sided historiography, right? I mean I can only use the opinion of historians that support my answer. It wouldn't make sense to bring the other side (contradicting my answer) into this section, as this section includes information answering my question (not opposing it). So where do I include the other side?

• 4 weeks later...