4 in hl math = instant rejection?

mathloser

Hi guys, I'm really panicking now. I'm scared I won't be accepted to any university due to by crappy math HL score. I have 6s in all my other subjects and a 5 in hl bio. I started with a 5 in hl math and dropped to a 4... and I can't get it back up since last year.

I have been having frequent panic attacks and i'm just so stressed. I really did not want to post this up, but it really is my last resort.

WHAT CAN I DO???? I am applying to both US and Canadian schools, but I'm afraid I'll be rejected to ALL of them due to my outstanding math HL score...

I did the ACTs and scored pretty well (above 33), but I know that alone won't help if I have such a crappy math mark

I am currently taking 4 HLs and 2 SLs, and dropping math HL is not an option.

Why did I take math HL? I honestly wanted to challenge myself - it wasn't even for the ego! I have no problem with people in my class knowing my score, because I just wanted to learn! The problem I really have right now is applying my knowledge on the IB questions. If you threw at me a bunch of integration drills, I can do them, but once I have to do real IB questions,  I panic and forget literally EVERYTHING. It was naive of me to think that my score would improve, because it clearly isn't improving! 

I have a math tutor, and he really helps me understand concepts, but when it comes to IB questions, I'm on my own. I really have no idea as to how to tackle such questions.

Does anyone have tips or can anyone relate to this? I just hope that someone can really offer me some advice D:

Your problem is really common among HL students. It's a hard course, no doubt. But stay positive and work hard!

Regarding university, a 4 is not equal to instant rejection. It really depends on what university you'll apply, what program you'll choose, how good your personal statement is, how much you spend time on extracurricular activities, and tonnes of other factors. Some universities will consider you even with a 4, because they know that HL math is hard. But if you want to get into really good uni like Ivy League or Toronto, etc, then you'll have to try harder to improve your grades.

But how do you improve your grades? How do you apply the stuff that you learn from textbooks to solve real IB questions? Well, my way of tackling a problem is to break it down into smaller simpler steps such that each step is something that you're familiar with. Btw, this idea of breaking down a problem is really what that triggers the scientific revolution because it increased our ability to analyze scientific problems. Now, let me show you an example to see exactly what I mean by breaking down a problem into steps:

post-115475-0-30374600-1416297214_thumb.

With this 'break-down' tactic in mind, you can basically solve anything. Remember that the most important step is the analyzing step, as it helps us to later determine how we will break down the problem into several simpler solving steps.

Good luck with studying :)

Edited by Vioh
  • Like 6

thank you so much! I will definitely try the break down question method... it just seems so hard to quickly breakdown the question in minutes. I'm applying to schools like western (ivey program), queens and york, and they all required superb grades ):

I'm glad to help!

If you're thinking of applying to those top universities in programs that are more into science or mathematics, then you have to work much harder to improve your grade. Like everybody says, practice makes perfect. If you practice often, then maybe you wouldn't even need the 'analyzing step' in the future, but you can go right in and solve the questions like a piece of cake :) It's just a matter of time and practice.

I agree that the wordings of IB questions might be a bit intimidating. But if you try to see the question as a whole, visualize it in your head, then you'll probably understand the problem much faster. Don't read the problem word by word without at the same time visualizing it. And by the time you start solving the problem, you should be able to recall the whole question right from your mind. Doing this will always help you to always focus on what the question really asks you to do. Well, that's how I often tried to approach a question anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, now that you've probably attained your results from the May session, may I ask what your final score was like? you don't have to say if you don't wish to. But no, I don't think 4 in HL math is an instant rejection. There are a lot of universities which accept students with a 4 in HL math. For example, University of Waterloo in Canada. You might want to look into that.

Hey man, now that you've probably attained your results from the May session, may I ask what your final score was like? you don't have to say if you don't wish to. But no, I don't think 4 in HL math is an instant rejection. There are a lot of universities which accept students with a 4 in HL math. For example, University of Waterloo in Canada. You might want to look into that.

I read May 2015 not May 2014!

• 2 weeks later...