How hard is it to do well on the IOP?

ShootingStar16

I did well on mine and did it without much practice. I would advise against doing what I did, so make sure to practice! My speech was just under the 13 minute mark, and covered my topic well. The key is finding a good topic that a) you will be able to speak for 12-15 minutes about and b) will be easy enough to create a PowerPoint or some sort of visual presentation for. Also, time yourself giving the speech while practicing! You will talk faster during the real deal due to nervousness, so make sure that you're not on the cusp of 12 minutes. Losing points to simple things is the easiest way to get a 4 or 5 instead of a 6 or 7! Good luck!

• Like 1

Honestly, there isn't too much of an excuse to do wildly badly on it. Obviously, not many people will get a 7, but I mean, you have as much time to prepare as you decide to put in. It isn't an easy project, but unlike any other IB exam, you have tons of time to prepare. Don't procrastinate, work hard, and you'll do great! Wait until the last minute, and you might do badly. Just follow the rubric, be creative (but not too creative!), and there's no reason to worry. :)

• Like 1

My advice for the IOP is do something that you are really passionate about. I know that's hard for someone who may not be a book nerd like me. I had the choice of 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind, 'The Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini. I really did not like 'The Great Gatsby' so I started to think why I didn't like it. I realized it was because I really did not like Daisy. So you know what I did? I did a monologue on Daisy and I did not use a power point. I really wanted to figure out why I didn't like Daisy and I figured the best way to do that was put myself in her shoes. I had a script for the monologue, and you have to talk about why you did it after, so I did bullet points on that and elaborated when the time came. Overall it was 12 minutes and I got a 6 on it :)

YOU NEED TO PRACTICE! I practiced on the bus to school, eating cereal in the morning, in the shower, I did it in front of my classmates at lunch, I did it in front of my family, and after rehearsing with my class I wasn't as nervous :) 

Edited by bethiedrama101
  • Like 1