Math IA as a proof?

m.k.2015

Hello everyone, 

I am not sure about what the math IA can be like, but can it be a proof for an already established formula. For example, I tried to prove the binomial theorem expansion formula from scratch. Is that a possible topic for IA? would I achieve a high grade if I do prove it in a different way than that already established?

I would really appreciate it if you guys replied .. I have mixed feelings right now, as I am not sure if I have done something good or bad.

Edited by m.k.2015

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, the math exploration has only one criteria which refers to the USE OF MATHEMATICS. I think it is out of 5 or 6 points. In total, the math IA is 20 marks. What i mean by this, is that even if you prove the binomial expansion theorem (which is fairly easy and described in every textbook, and wont get you high grades on the use of math criteria), you might still be able to get a very good grade overall if you are perfect on every other criteria. Thats why - READ THE CRITERIA. If you decide not to do binomial expansion, and do something else, reply to this and I might be able to give you a hand with the topic choice. 

Hello everyone, 

I am not sure about what the math IA can be like, but can it be a proof for an already established formula. For example, I tried to prove the binomial theorem expansion formula from scratch. Is that a possible topic for IA? would I achieve a high grade if I do prove it in a different way than that already established?

I would really appreciate it if you guys replied .. I have mixed feelings right now, as I am not sure if I have done something good or bad.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for replying. I am not sure if it is an easy topic as I had to prove it from scratch, meaning from the pascal triangle only. Can you quote any book proofs you have encountered please, to see if it is similar to mine?

First of all, the math exploration has only one criteria which refers to the USE OF MATHEMATICS. I think it is out of 5 or 6 points. In total, the math IA is 20 marks. What i mean by this, is that even if you prove the binomial expansion theorem (which is fairly easy and described in every textbook, and wont get you high grades on the use of math criteria), you might still be able to get a very good grade overall if you are perfect on every other criteria. Thats why - READ THE CRITERIA. If you decide not to do binomial expansion, and do something else, reply to this and I might be able to give you a hand with the topic choice.

Hello everyone,