Ib subject selection help!

XXXXX

hey please help!!!!  i am struggling in my ib subject selection. i have chosen Biology chemistry and geography HL but apparently i dont really like my biology teacher as he teaches badly. i want to take music HL instead of Biology as music seems easier and more relaxed. My aim is to get into food science in university. what should i do??? should i drop biology and take music???? help!!!! 

much help appreciated 

First of all, you should check your chosen university but if you don't have one yet then, in my opinion, it'd be better to stick with biology cause usually food science requires that. Sometimes teachers are really bad but that doesn't necessarily have to determine our learning process. Maybe you should drop Geography or Chemistry to SL to have some easier time... Just suggestions, but in the end, it all depends on your future university.

Checking with the university might easily answer your question. However, remember that a teacher might teach badly, but you can get other help as well. Possibly study groups with people who understand what is going on, or other teachers around your school that might possibly teach biology might be able to help sometimes if you get stuck on something. 

Also, is the biology SL teacher the same as the HL teacher, or is it a separate class? If it is a different class...why not take that instead? 

If you're applying to universities in the US, and you're sure you can get good grades in Music HL then take it; you'll enjoy it more and it won't harm your admission chances since there generally aren't any rigid subject requirements in the US. 

If, on the other hand you're applying to universities in the UK, or a country where universities have rigid subject requirements, or even a specific university with specific requirements then you're probably best off in the boring Bio class. 

Make sure you decide fast though; some schools can be pretty rigid with changing subjects after the first odd week or so. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

First of all, you should check your chosen university but if you don't have one yet then, in my opinion, it'd be better to stick with biology cause usually food science requires that. Sometimes teachers are really bad but that doesn't necessarily have to determine our learning process. Maybe you should drop Geography or Chemistry to SL to have some easier time... Just suggestions, but in the end, it all depends on your future university.

Apologies if this is off topic, but how come you were allowed to study both English and Spanish literature?

Apologies if this is off topic, but how come you were allowed to study both English and Spanish literature?

No problem  :shifty:  That's because I chose Spanish as my self-taught literature. However, if your school offers more than one literature course, you're allowed to take it (some people at my school do both Danish and English Lit). I chose three languages because I wanted a poly-lingual diploma, but I'm aware a lot of people would never do that  :clap:

No problem  :shifty:  That's because I chose Spanish as my self-taught literature. However, if your school offers more than one literature course, you're allowed to take it (some people at my school do both Danish and English Lit). I chose three languages because I wanted a poly-lingual diploma, but I'm aware a lot of people would never do that  :clap:

Are you saying that if I wanted to, I could do English A HL and German A HL  instead of  German B HL?

Are you saying that if I wanted to, I could do English A HL and German A HL  instead of  German B HL?

Yes, you can. The only obligation is that you do two languages. One of them HAS TO be a literature course but if you wish you can take another literature instead of a subject from Group 2.  :clap: