CAS ideas please

Lynxarin

I helped in decorating my school for homecoming hallway competitions for creativity, did martial arts for action, and volunteered at a local marine science museum and was a teacher's assistant for primary school-aged children during summer session for service.

I teach a kid English a couple of days every week, and I'm helping organize some student event in my school. 

Since I'm going to be on my school's MUN council, I'll also be conducting the weekly school activity, and organizing my school's annual MUN, though that's only starting in Jan.

If you're in any school clubs, take on a bigger role in them and try to get your coordinator to count it as service. 

I helped in decorating my school for homecoming hallway competitions for creativity, did martial arts for action, and volunteered at a local marine science museum and was a teacher's assistant for primary school-aged children during summer session for service.

I teach a kid English a couple of days every week, and I'm helping organize some student event in my school. 

Since I'm going to be on my school's MUN council, I'll also be conducting the weekly school activity, and organizing my school's annual MUN, though that's only starting in Jan.

If you're in any school clubs, take on a bigger role in them and try to get your coordinator to count it as service. 

Thanks, any more ideas concerning CAS service? :)

For CAS service I have joined a foundation that takes care of elderly people. I visit an 89-year-old at her house, talk to her and listen to her stories. It's a great experience.

Apart from that I'm a volunteer at a local museum. Together with other volunteers we are helping at organising weekly events for children.

Maybe you should check if there aren't any institutions in your neighborhood that are looking for teen volunteers? It would be useful to visit local museums, schools, public institutions, tutoring centers, hospitals, hospices, animal shelters, children's homes and the like. Before I started the IB I was completely unaware that teen volunteers are so wanted.

Last year I was volunteering in an animal shelter (kittens, yaay! :D ), this year I want to continue that and start also working with children - probably as an assistant in some primary school or kindergarten. Similarly as bethiedrama101, this summer I had a service volunteer project in Germany. And a tip for you - if your CAS coordinator approves, study helping is a great way of getting your hours quickly. :)

For Creative, I noticed people have been saying writing poems, knitting, drawing, cooking, etc. How does this count? Are you doing these things at home, and if so, who is signing off on them>

Well, if you're learning these things off a teacher outside of school you can get them to sign you off. But if you're doing them yourself at home, all you need to do is take pictures or proof of doing them and get your CAS school teacher to sign you off. 

We have a lot of clubs at our school and if you have any in yours you should definitely check them out because often there will be clubs that do fundraisers or for example the environment club doing a lot of service related activities (planting trees in school and in the community as well as recycling plans etc)

One thing that I did was join the 40 hour famine. It has just ended this year but if you are in year 1 then you can do this next year. You give something up like food, furniture, talking, your thumb or something (not literally giving away your thumb it just means you won't use it) for 40 hours and then fundraise. All donations go to World Vision and then to the country that they have in focus that year. For simply doing the 40 hour famine our school said we could add a maximum of 6 hours for service. You could also get your whole school involved and even make it your CAS project (creativity and service). 

We also have a debating club at school so I coached a team for both years of IB and got service hours for that. At the end of year 1 many students went to different countries such as Cambodia, Laos etc and did projects there. 

They were in conjunction with 'Projects Abroad' and 'World Challenge'. I dont know much about it so if you look it up you will find details. You'd get your 50 hours of service extremely easily if you did this! Though it would mean losing precious holiday time at the end of the year.