Math Studies

rhapsodysiscaa

It really depends on where you would like to study but I generally would not recommend choosing Math Studies if you want to major in anything business-related. It is true that the content of Math Studies deals with business math and statistics what could be useful in your further studies. However, the programme of Math Studies is quite easy and some universities (for example University of Manchester: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2015/07808/accounting-3-years-bsc/entry-requirements/) won't accept it for finance and business related majors.

I don't know how it is outside of the UK, though. Still, I would recommend Math Studies only for people who want to major in purely art subjects like a Modern Language, Literature, Art History, History, Philosophy and the like. If you want to major in anything more sciency (like f.e. Accounting) I would recommend choosing at least Math SL.

Moreover, if you suddenly decided that you would like to major in Economics instead (which is quite a similar degree) then you would need Math HL and it's much easier to move from Math SL to Math HL than to move from Math Studies to Math HL.

So overall, I do not think that Math Studies is suitable for anyone who wants to choose a business-related major. 

Good luck with your choices, though (whatever they become). :)

Edited by Sceptyczka
  • Like 1

No.

For business and accounting-related majors, you need at least SL math. For economics, real finance, and actuarial science, you typically need HL math. Math studies only really covers basic math and statistics, and while that's still important for business which uses quite a bit of statistics, the depth that you get at the math studies level isn't sufficient for a university course in any of these fields.

I'm not going anywhere abroad and I just knew today that Math studies SL is equivalent to the national exam Math for Business stream.

The thing is, I did Math Core IGCSE and I have no basic in calculus and things that people learn in Math Extended. I'm really scared that I can't cope up with the lesson :( but my IB friends told me that I could do it. I'm scared that i could fail in IA or EA

Edited by rhapsodysiscaa