How much do Standard Level subjects matter?

Hassty

If I've got the info right, universities make offers based on individual HL subject performance as well as total score. What I'm wondering is, does that mean standard level subjects are not taken into account at all? In terms of university application.

I went ahead and picked the subjects I thought I'd enjoy, but now I'm considering switching out a of them for less workload-intensive ones. History with ESS maybe? I hear Eng L&L is easier than Lit too. Would it make a difference?

SL subjects are of course taken into account in the sense that they contribute to the overall score as much as HL subjects do. Moreover, ESS is one of the subjects considered as a 'soft option' by certain selective universities. It also has considerable overlap with Biology, and universities may really don't like such a combination. As for English L&L and Lit, the difference is mainly in terms of content rather than difficulty.

• Like 1

It's generally accepted that SLs are seen by UK universities as things that boost your points total over anything else. That being said, they aren't ignored; UK universities do look down on some SLs, like ESS and Studies, though it is by no means impossible to get into university, even the really selective ones, with either subject (except where they explicitly state that they don't accept that subject, though that's mainly with studies). Seeing as you have Math HL that wouldn't be a problem for you. 

Don't drop subjects that you like but which seem tougher, for subjects that you dislike but seem easier. As for Lang Lit vs Lit, from what I understand, Lang Lit is supposed to be a bridge for people who aren't proficient enough in english for Lit, but too good for English B. If you're fluent there won't be too much difference. My advice, if you're fluent in English is to take Lit. 

If you want a subject with a lesser workload then I'd advise economics. Especially at SL, it's said to be fairly easy.

• Like 1

SL subjects are of course taken into account in the sense that they contribute to the overall score as much as HL subjects do. Moreover, ESS is one of the subjects considered as a 'soft option' by certain selective universities. It also has considerable overlap with Biology, and universities may really don't like such a combination. As for English L&L and Lit, the difference is mainly in terms of content rather than difficulty.

Depends on the program too.

What's the verdict for Natural Sciences (Biological) and Biochemistry / Molecular Biology? Thank you :D

It's generally accepted that SLs are seen by UK universities as things that boost your points total over anything else. That being said, they aren't ignored; UK universities do look down on some SLs, like ESS and Studies, though it is by no means impossible to get into university, even the really selective ones, with either subject (except where they explicitly state that they don't accept that subject, though that's mainly with studies). Seeing as you have Math HL that wouldn't be a problem for you. 

Don't drop subjects that you like but which seem tougher, for subjects that you dislike but seem easier. As for Lang Lit vs Lit, from what I understand, Lang Lit is supposed to be a bridge for people who aren't proficient enough in english for Lit, but too good for English B. If you're fluent there won't be too much difference. My advice, if you're fluent in English is to take Lit. 

If you want a subject with a lesser workload then I'd advise economics. Especially at SL, it's said to be fairly easy.

Economics I've studied it before, enjoyed it and did well enough, I think GCSE is about enough for one lifetime haha!

I'm pretty fluent, but I've never studied literature before. Would it be a considerable disadvantage?

It wouldn't, providing you can read and really understand and analyse text. By analyse, I mean, understand what the author is trying to convey, and identify how he/she does so in their writing.

Honestly, provided you read the books, and pay attention in class you'll be more than fine.

• Like 1

If you're aiming for a Russell Group University in the UK, I would take 'good' SLs as well as HLs. It will look much better on your application. Subjects perceived as 'soft' for one candidate vs subject perceived as 'decent' for another candidate - when there's just one interview place available - might make the difference.

If you're not aiming for a 'top' Uni or you are but not to a particularly competitive course, it probably matters less.

At the end of the day, short of infiltrating the admissions office, we'll never know if it matters much or not! But there's no point taking risks with this sort of thing. My opinion. No SL subjects are truly hard unless you have an aversion to them/lack of facility for them (I found SL Maths the hardest subject in the whole IB!). Although you probably could get away with L+L instead of Lit, especially as you've never done Lit before(!!!) which may put you at a disadvantage. I doubt Unis really know the difference and both have the harder area (Lit) in the title. 

I actually don't think it's allowed to take HL Biology with SL ESS, but I may be misremembering something :blink:

• Like 1

Studies isn't looked down on in the UK. Not for arts subjects, and some universities will even take applicants for medicine who have maths studies

• Like 1

If you're aiming for a Russell Group University in the UK, I would take 'good' SLs as well as HLs. It will look much better on your application. Subjects perceived as 'soft' for one candidate vs subject perceived as 'decent' for another candidate - when there's just one interview place available - might make the difference.

If you're not aiming for a 'top' Uni or you are but not to a particularly competitive course, it probably matters less.

At the end of the day, short of infiltrating the admissions office, we'll never know if it matters much or not! But there's no point taking risks with this sort of thing. My opinion. No SL subjects are truly hard unless you have an aversion to them/lack of facility for them (I found SL Maths the hardest subject in the whole IB!). Although you probably could get away with L+L instead of Lit, especially as you've never done Lit before(!!!) which may put you at a disadvantage. I doubt Unis really know the difference and both have the harder area (Lit) in the title. 

I actually don't think it's allowed to take HL Biology with SL ESS, but I may be misremembering something :blink:

I'm pretty sure it is allowed. Maybe if I make myself familiar with the technique of literature, I'd be able to do it then?

Thanks everyone!