Hi guys! I'm doing my economics extended essay. My research question is, "To what extent is the market structure of supermarkets in Doha an oligopoly?"

I wanted to clear up some approaches I had to the question. First off, there are two main supermarket chains in Doha, Carrefour and Lulu (technically they're hypermarkets but yeah). There's also a government co-op that has a large chain but really is visited for low cost items, it's called Al Meera. Then there are like 3 Family Food Centres, which is another low cost chain. Then there are some singular supermarkets. And then there are a bunch of small supermarkets, like for every small neighbourhood. They're quite small and are only visited for small things.

My first question is, what do I focus on in my essay? I'd love to do just Carrefour and Lulu, but I think Al Meera and FFC are much smaller but still sizeable. 

Second, what kind of data do I gather? Oligopolies tend to be characterized by price rigidity. Should I create a basket of 4 random goods and see how the prices change each week for each store? Also, how can I get concentration ratio data? Can I use a different measure for it? Could I also investigate the existence of a price leader?

Carrefour has an erm, line that says, "If you find the same product for cheaper, we'll refund 10 times the difference". Can I use this as proof of interdependence of the firms? I have a lot of questions haha, and any responses to any of them would be amazing.

Edit: I could also do surveys about brand loyalty, although is that relevant for an oligopoly? And I could talk about non-price competition (Lulu offers credit cards and loyalty points)

Edited by Ossih
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey  Ossih,

I'm Yagna from India and am doing my extended essay on a similar kind of topic.

(Rest of message deleted)

Edited by yii yann
"Sharing of ideas on a similar topic" is going to lead to plagiarism, and consequently a noticeable lack of an IB diploma. Please avoid this.