HL or SL mathamatics

Erikamery

Hi. I will be starting the IB diploma program this fall. I currently live in Canada but I will be moving to France next month. I was wondering what math I should take. This year I got a 95% in academic math. I really love math and tutored it to grade 9 students.

HL Math is very challenging. It is usually known as one of the hardest IB courses available, usually with IB Physics as the other well-known one. If you love math, and especially if you plan on doing math in college and beyond, you should probably go for HL math. HL math is a very big leap from SL math. If your school allows it, you could perhaps choose 4 HLs including HL Math, and if you don't like it, you can drop down to SL.

Hello, 

I'm not familiar with the curriculum of, academic math -- I took the BC curriculum Pre-Calc 12 before I entered the IB. However, 95% is a wonderful grade and if you really love math I suggest you do take HL. HL courses are substantially more difficult and require a lot of studying, if you enjoy the subject it will easier on you in the end.