Economics Guide

Hi people!

Is it worth getting a study guide, revision guide or course companion for economics HL? If yes which of them?

Thanks!

Is "course companion" a synonym for "textbook"? I've seen that on a bunch of my books. 

Anyway, no, you do not need study/revision guides unless you are in desperate need of help. If you've been working consistently, study guides simply make your answers formulaic, inhibit your critical thinking during the exam and makes you an all round boring student for the examiner. They also encourage you not to make your own notes, which tends to lead to disaster during the exam. 

My suggestion is to go through the textbook yourself (I'd recommend Economics for the IB Diploma by Ellie Tragakes) and make your own notes. Far better at making you learn the content. 

I love the oxford study guide - i think it's better than the course companion because it's more detailed and to the point. For economics, I believe that if you have a strong conceptual basis, writing essays becomes very easy. Having a textbook or a resource where you have all the points you are expected to have in your written answers listed in one place can be very helpful... helps you uncomplicate things in a sense. 

Hi people!

Is it worth getting a study guide, revision guide or course companion for economics HL? If yes which of them?

Thanks!

I highly recommend Oxford's course companion, it is very easy to understand.

On the other hand, IB Study Guide is very beneficial for last minute study, and I can assure you that they are complete. You can check the syllabus..

Another one I would recommend would be the Cambridge book. It is extremely detailed but very time consuming to read. However the fact that it has assessment statement really helps as it guides you on what you need to know 

https://www.google.com.my/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.timwoods.org%2F%3Fwpdmact%3Dprocess%26did%3DOS5ob3RsaW5r&ei=An-8U6WSAZKgugTrpoFY&usg=AFQjCNEZuTSos6qssc45D4upj4ZHgJ7gWA&sig2=ppfl3OPyAUVtWjlBScPAGQ

PS: ill let you know one secret. The assessment statements will exactly come out in the exams. It may be worded differently, but has the same meaning. You can try practicing according to the assessment statement, instead of blindly reading the textbook.

Most people would say that it's easy to score a 7 in economics, but bear in mind that most people are in the world are taking economics, and there is a higher grade boundary now to get a 7. 

all the best!