UK Universities and required IB Scores

luisa852

Hey y'all,

I'll complete my IB Diploma in May 2016 and my guidance counsellor recommended that I start looking at universities now.

The courses I'll try to get into are Economics (LSE) and PPE (Oxford). What scores would usually get me into these schools? 

I currently have top marks at an academically challenging private school, play two sports (one 1st team for our school); in addition I am involved in different school activities and do community service/ service trips.

I'll be taking HL Mathematics and HL Economics, so what marks would usually be required in these courses?

Thanks a lot,

Luisa

Hey y'all,

I'll complete my IB Diploma in May 2016 and my guidance counsellor recommended that I start looking at universities now.

The courses I'll try to get into are Economics (LSE) and PPE (Oxford). What scores would usually get me into these schools? 

I currently have top marks at an academically challenging private school, play two sports (one 1st team for our school); in addition I am involved in different school activities and do community service/ service trips.

I'll be taking HL Mathematics and HL Economics, so what marks would usually be required in these courses?

Thanks a lot,

Luisa

Hey there, 

I'm going off what I remember from the last UCAS cycle, so you should definitely check the course websites. 

LSE economics required a 7 in HL Math if I remembered correctly. You don't need a 7 in HL Econs although I THINK you need at least a 7, 6, 6 at HL and 38 points overall.  

Oxford PPE doesn't have particular subject requirements, although they recommend Math and History (not essential; I didn't take history). They require 39 points overall and 7,6,6 at HL. You don't need to get a 7 for HL Math, unlike LSE Econs. 

Realistically though, you'd be easily looking at >42 points and at least a 7,7,6 at HL. Most candidates have awesome scores and you don't want to give them any reason to rank you lower than the others. By no means is anything more than the published requirements essential, but it's good to have. I feel like LSE looks more at this than Oxford, but that's just my opinion. Oxford does have a much more complicated admissions process (admissions test, interview), which leads them to place less emphasis on grades, so long as you meet the requirements. 

• Like 3