Chance me?

Guest Daminark

Guest Daminark

Hey guys, Amin here. I know CC is usually the place for chance me threads, but I've heard that those guys are seriously unrealistic, so if it's alright I'll ask here.

US citizen, born and raised, but I go to an American HS in Morocco. I'm living with some extended family. Texas residency, first-gen college student (if that helps at all)

Our school uses 1-7 for trimester grades, with the scale

7: 96-100

6: 90-95

5: 80-89

4: 70-79

3: 60-69

2: 51-59

1: 0-50

My average from 9th-11th grade is a 6. Our school doesn't calculate GPA, but estimations I've gotten are 3.8-3.9 (could you verify that based on the above conversion table?)

School doesn't do class rank, but I'm informally known to be one of the top students, and my college counselor said she'll mention that in her recommendation.

For courses, we have a relatively standard schedule 9-10 (no honors or anything). I now take 4 HLs (Math, Chem, Physics, Econ) and 2 SLs (English, French AB). Doing my EE in Physics.

SAT I: (CR, M, W, MC, Essay)

Jan (640, 760, 690, 76, 6)

May (630, 780, 680, 71, 8)

SAT II: Physics 800, Math IIC 730, Chemistry 760

ECs:

Cofounder/Copresident of debate team (11th)

Yearbook (11th)

Amis Des Ecoles (11th)

People to People (10th)

Helping out at events, including IB information night and PTA events (11th)

Self studying things related to computer science (throughout high school)

Informal tech advisor to some of our faculty (throughout high school)

Gonna do IB Computer Science with a teacher in 12th, independent of our school

Recommendations shouldn't be much of a problem. I can get some good recommendations. Thinking of Physics, Chem, and Econ teachers, also considering French teacher. Might do CS teacher (the one I'm gonna do IB CS with next year) as a supplement. My principal said he'll put a word for me to a friend on Northeastern admissions.

I'm going undeclared, but my interests are in STEM (except Biology) and Business/Econ. 

I have a long list of colleges right now, and I'll narrow it down. As of now, I'm considering:

UPenn ED, MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Cornell, UCLA, Ann Arbor, Chapel Hill, UVA, UT Austin, RPI (medalist), Northeastern

How does my list look right now? Which of these (based on selectivity and programs) are better than the others? Also, are there other schools that I should consider? Thanks in advance guys

The first eight colleges are probably reaches for you. Berkeley and Cornell are within grasp, but the others are crapshoots. If you're an international, the difficulty of getting into these schools are slightly compounded. Not too sure about RPI and Northeastern admissions, but I don't think these schools can be considered as complete safeties. 

My humble suggestion would be to add at least 1 true safety school on to your list. 

Guest Daminark

I'm not international since I have us citizenship. I feel my safety is ut, since I count as in state. Between that and my stats, could that count?

I won't chance you (I am not very good), but I will tell you that you are a very strong applicant to all those universities - except for your SAT score. 730 in Math II is in the 67th percentile, the top universities that you listed take students from the 99th percentile. Honest. Unless you are a recruited athlete.If you can hold a 6 in Math HL, you can get an 800 in Math II no problem. I would suggest not taking up IB CS and studying hard for your SATs for the October + November sessions. Also, anything under 2200 in SAT reasoning isn't going to cut it for HYPS+ penn & cornell unless you have great hooks. Your SAT score is also on the low end for Berkeley, UCLA. Anyway, the other universities (that i didn't mention) should be fine, but to get into penn ed, I would focus on improving reasoning in October (for ED), then doing Math II in November again for RD.

Edited by Maple