How to prepare for English L&L?

Hello there!

I'll start the IB Course in September and originally I wanted to do English B.

The Student Adviser at my future school told me now, that I should take English L&L, because I want to study in the UK, but I'm from Germany. Because of this I'll have to do a test at the university to be admitted and they experienced that the students who took English B do not pass this exam. But they also told me that I should read some english literature to prepare for this course. It would be very nice, if you recommended me some books. Thank you!  :clap:

Hey,

I'm also from Germany and I'll start IB in September.

I started to read some books on the list of prescribed authors to prepare for the course (some of them I also read in my English class)

These are the books that I've already read:

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

The Odyssey by Homer

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

• Like 1

Here's our reading list for L&L:

*The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
*The Great Gatsby (F. Scott. Fitzgerald)
*A Midsummer Night's Dream (William Shakespeare)
*1984 (George Orwell)
*The Reader (Bernhard Schlink) - We're also going to read it in German B :D
*A Streetcar Named Desire (Tennessee Williams)

I was also told to read To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Night by Elie Weisel, and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

As far as preparing goes though, I would suggest making brief outlines or Mind Maps (https://www.examtime.com/guide/mind-maps-for-ib-classes/ is a good place to get started with the Mind Maps) for each book, so you have something you can refer to to help you remember the important themes and characters of what you read. I heard sometimes the exams can ask for some detail, and I know if I didn't Mind Map my stuff, I would forget what was important because I read so many books  XD 

Good luck!  <3

This is a great place to go/visit/enquire whenever you need individual help (my cousin has done well with this site). They will also give study advice and help prepare for Engllish exams, papers, assignments. Really helpful. I use them for my uni studies -- brill.

You can read anything, but if you want to prepare for IB English, you should find out what you'll be studying at your school and start studying those books your teacher has selected for you.

Another good idea is to understand what English at IB is all about.  The IB site I mentioned will give you all that. The DP is (for many) a huge departure from the middle grades -- which can be confusing and take time to learn.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

Check the syllabus to know exactly what you are being assessed on - 

my advice is also to read some exemplar works and past paper questions, so that you can practice for the assessments. 

In terms of knowledge for the subject itself, the books you read are subject to your teacher's whims. Check with him/her but unless you know the books for a fact, don't spend too much time reading potential books (unless you enjoy it). 

One hint is to read a lot of magazines, articles and even adverts to get a feel of different types of medium for communication. Most people do that automatically, but if you try and be critical and compare what works and what doesn't work between two or three different styles, it can hold you in good stead.