how to accumulate the CAS hours ?

how can i make my CAS hours counted ? what kind of evidence do i need to submit to my school ? will it be possible to accumulate the CAS hours over the summer and how to do that ?

You need to 'Reflections' about the CAS that you have done - specifically one for each of the outcomes that the activity covers (there are 8 outcomes in total, and your activity doesnt have to cover all outcomes, just one at minimum).

Our school uses something called 'managebac' and this is a website thing developed by ex IB students (they did this for their CAS project actually!) and its superb as it allows you to organise and then get your supervisors to approve and confirm that you did it.

You can do activities over the holidays but for these activities you will need a supervisor who would oversee the fact that you did do these activities. There is a form that they sign at the end once you have finished the activity and done your reflections. Your IB co-ordinator should be able to provide you with this form.

I would recommend just using 'managebac'. But your school will need to organise this so do suggest it to them.

• Like 1

You need to 'Reflections' about the CAS that you have done - specifically one for each of the outcomes that the activity covers (there are 8 outcomes in total, and your activity doesnt have to cover all outcomes, just one at minimum).

Our school uses something called 'managebac' and this is a website thing developed by ex IB students (they did this for their CAS project actually!) and its superb as it allows you to organise and then get your supervisors to approve and confirm that you did it.

You can do activities over the holidays but for these activities you will need a supervisor who would oversee the fact that you did do these activities. There is a form that they sign at the end once you have finished the activity and done your reflections. Your IB co-ordinator should be able to provide you with this form.

I would recommend just using 'managebac'. But your school will need to organise this so do suggest it to them.

ohhh...... thank you soooo much .

Hi. Our school uses managebac as well, so therefore, it really depends on your school and how your IB coordinator wants the process to be organised as.

Start early, and figure out a plan of the time period you will be doing your activities for.

After you have completed some reflections (they have to cover certain check-points, e.g. new skill, challenge, perseverance, global value, etc.) all you need is either a signature to show your CAS/IB coordinator that is either digital or on paper.

I'm sure your school will go into more detail and tell you more in the future, but be pro-active and go ask your supervisors as well. Also, the IB has some CAS guidelines somewhere on the Internet.

If your school doesn't use a website they might have paper forms, or you can find random ones online e.g. http://www.stantoncollegeprep.org/central/IB/IB_CAS_Forms.pdf

Best to ask your CAS co-ordinator what they want from you first, though. Like my school wanted 1 reflection per 10 hours of CAS (even if it was the same activity...) and every reflection had to cover ALL the required reflection points. I literally had to write that my terrible playing of the cello inspired other people to persevere in things where they also had a total lack of talent. Actually, I told that to my CAS Co-ordinator as a joke when somewhat frustrated filling it out... she said "excellent reflection!" :blink: For the record, playing the cello did not contribute to the community or inspire other people one bit. But if that's what the school wants, that's what you write.

Anyway, it's the CAS co-ordinator who passes/fails you for CAS so do whatever they tell you, and don't do anything without checking it against them first. You can waste hours doing activities that won't count for anything if your CAS co-ordinator has some mysterious problem with them. We had a few (totally legit) activities axed for 'not being in the spirit of CAS'. Apparently being in a choir out of school is unacceptably 'non-CAS' if you also take IB Music. Packing bags for charity is unacceptable if the charity is a military charity because the IB believes in peace. And extensive other crap reasons. Basically it's the whim of your CAS co-ordinator, because I'm confident neither of those things would have been a problem at any other school where they would have been perceived as gaining a skill and charity work... so check things with them and just do whatever they want.

• Like 1