IB Math

xoxoyessica

Here are the Math courses offered from the easiest to the most difficult:

http://ibo.org/diploma/curriculum/group5/

The most challenging one is Further Mathematics HL but you can only take it alongside with Mathematics HL.

Math SL is standard level of math, not very challenging.

The easiest one is Math Studies. It's extremely easy, even for people who are bad at math.

I have also heard about Further Mathematics SL but I can't see any information about it on the IBO's website, sorry.

Someone on this forum will most likely introduce you to this course in a while.

Keep in mind that Further Mathematics HL is VERY challenging, not offered by many schools and few people take it. Mathematics HL already requires talent and commitment and Further Mathematics HL is a few times more difficult.

Good luck on your future choices! :)

I have seen that you are taking exams in May 2017. That's still a lot of time from now. I advice you not to worry about the IB. Enjoy your freedom while you can because it will only get worse. :P

Edited by Sceptyczka

Here are the Math courses offered from the easiest to the most difficult:

http://ibo.org/diploma/curriculum/group5/

The most challenging one is Further Mathematics HL but you can only take it alongside with Mathematics HL.

Math SL is standard level of math, not very challenging.

The easiest one is Math Studies. It's extremely easy, even for people who are bad at math.

I have also heard about Further Mathematics SL but I can't see any information about it on the IBO's website, sorry.

Someone on this forum will most likely introduce you to this course in a while.

Keep in mind that Further Mathematics HL is VERY challenging, not offered by many schools and few people take it. Mathematics HL already requires talent and commitment and Further Mathematics HL is a few times more difficult.

Good luck on your future choices! :)

I have seen that you are taking exams in May 2017. That's still a lot of time from now. I advice not to worry about the IB. Enjoy your freedom while you can because it will only get worse. :P

Great info overall, but I think you are wrong about the difficulty of FM HL. It's not really a few times more difficult than HL math - it's more like all of the HL Math options plus the core stuff, which is taken a little bit deeper in terms of theory. Definitely doable with practice. 

Of course, HL Math itself is quite a difficult pre-university subject!

• Like 3

I would probably say Mathematics HL would be the best option. Most schools don't offer Further Mathematics HL, and finding the resources/teachers to do it independently would be tough. Mathematics HL is quite the challenge already, but definitely is not impossible to do well in. Of course, double check that your school is able to offer Mathematics HL - and if you're not happy, hopefully you can still have the option to drop to SL. But I definitely think Mathematics HL is a great subject to try if you're looking to push yourself a little!