IB Higher Level Maths predicted 5: How does it affect my chances?

Floatinghead

Hello people!

This is my first post so apologises if I break any forum rules. Today, I just want to see your opinion on my university chances. I am looking to apply to the US (I am an international student) and I am looking to apply to an economics course. However, I am very likely to recieve a predicted 5 for HL Maths and I was wondering how do you think this will affect my chances.

Talked to a few of my teachers and this is what my predicted will probably looks like:

Chinese B SL: 7

English Lang/Lit SL: 7 or 6

Physics SL: 7

Math HL: 5

Econ HL: 7

Chem HL : 7

Furthermore, our school always predict a 2 for TOK.

Do you think high quality schools like Columbia is still a possibility for me or too much of a reach?

I think your grades are fine really...

You shouldn't rule yourself out of applying to some good schools in the US just because you may be predicted a 5 in Math HL. Honestly, to get into schools like that you should just have a very good application package. You have good grades, now you just need to work on your SAT/ACT and your essays and I'm sure you'll be good to go. All the best with the application process.

Oh and the thing with high reach schools is, even the best students are not guaranteed admission.

Edited by Encord
  • Like 2

Those predicted grades are pretty good, but I think you already know that ;)

Yes, you do have a chance at top quality US universities, but your grades are not the only important thing for them. As Encord said, even the best academic students do not get is. You have to make yourself stand out through extracurriculars such as internships, sports, clubs or other stuff you enjoy doing and are good at (even better if they have something to do with an Economics course you are interested in).

Just never expect to get into one of those huge universities, hope for it but don't expect it. You can always try again when you are going for a masters degree later on in life. There are tons of great Economics schools all over the world so just keep looking and when you get some of your offers and other things you will be fine.

Best of luck

Edited by Phoenix of the IB
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot! I'll try and see if i can up my maths but in the mean time, i'll keep building up my extracurriculars. But seriously, thanks a lot people, helps clear a lot of confusion. * I'll also talk to my university department to get further input.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Nope, I haven't gotten all some are just estimates by myself. But my teachers are telling me one by one now cuz according to them, its very unlikely for the grade to change between now and year 13. So far, I've gotten my highers (math 5, chem 7, econ 7). Still waiting for chinese, physics and english.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well done! I have seen some people get too really good unis with a 5 in math hl, u just need to keep it up...and make sure ur application process is neatly done with good SAT/ACT scores, a splendid recomendation, a good essay and KEEP UP YOUR BRILLIANT WORK...I can see you getting that 6 or 7 in the end...jst keep working..

I was asking how are u able to do this well. What is your routine? Is phy sl managable cause that the only subject and math hl that I am worrying about for next year.

Well done! I have seen some people get too really good unis with a 5 in math hl, u just need to keep it up...and make sure ur application process is neatly done with good SAT/ACT scores, a splendid recomendation, a good essay and KEEP UP YOUR BRILLIANT WORK...I can see you getting that 6 or 7 in the end...jst keep working..

I was asking how are u able to do this well. What is your routine? Is phy sl managable cause that the only subject and math hl that I am worrying about for next year.

Please don't bring up posts that are over a year old. You can PM the original poster if you want to find out about how they did.