The German Abitur or IB ?

IEAFBC812

Hey,

I have the opportunity to start IB in autum at the Felix-Klein-Gymnasium in Göttingen, but I'm not entirely sure if it is a good idea...

First of all, I'm a bit sceptical about taking the IB in general, because everybody is just freaking out about how much work it is and how much effort it requires. Secondly, I heard that the chances of getting into University aren't much better if you have completed IB. Furtermore, the Felix-Klein-Gynmasium has been an IB School only since 2006...

I just wanted to kindly ask you to tell me about your opinions regarding this matter: Would you prefer the IB program over the German Abitur ( especially given the fact that I have never taken more English classes than anyone in my year (all in all I had about 4 years of English))?

Thanks

Hey there!

Judging from your written English, I would say you don't have to worry much in that respect. 4 years of studying English might seem like a good measurement, but does actually not tell anyone anything of substance. Some people manage to become fluent in a language within three months of active studying, whereas for others it takes considerably longer. Certain people in my class had worse English than you when they started at IB. They still managed to get decent grades.

Regarding workload - it really depends on your time management. If your time management sucks, then yeah, you'd have a reason to freak out. However, if your time management is that bad, then I wonder how you're supposed to survive university. If your time management is decent, and you work consistently, then IB is nothing more than a walk in the park. The workload will be quite high in the second year, but if you do what you're supposed to do at a reasonable time, you will have no reason to worry. The key term here is time management. If you struggle with this, there are innumerable guides and help to be found online and, certainly, on this forum.

Regarding the chances of getting into university, it really depends on which universities you want to study at. I know that, generally speaking, it's easier to get into a university in the UK if you do the IB than the French bac. You should do some research on this, and figure out where you want to study. This will give you a better picture.

I really don't know how the German Abitur is structured, and can't really answer your last question. However, I did the IB, and I've never regretted I did. I was much more prepared for university than I would be with the Norwegian high school diploma.

I can't really say how it'll compare with the Abitur since I don't really know the system, but here's a couple of things that may be worth considering.

In terms of having to do it in English, there may be some difficulties but overall I don't think it'll be that bad. Taking German A and English B is always an option, judging by your post your English seems to be pretty good. Essay writing however is inevitable with the IB (with a group 3 subject, EE and TOK essay), so that is worth keeping in mind. Workload-wise I don't see why it would be that much worse compared to other curriculums, though it can be demanding at times.

On the note of university admissions, I've heard the grade conversion of IB scores is very harsh with German universities and there are additional restrictions to subject combinations they accept (more info here). In that sense you'll likely have better chances of getting into a good uni if you go with the Abitur. On the other hand, the IB is well known around the world, so it'll likely increase your chances if you are applying elsewhere. This applies for quite a few countries in Europe (Netherlands in particular comes to mind), along with UK, US, etc.

If you want to apply within Germany I think doing the Abitur might be better - I've also heard stories of harsh grade conversions and people being required to do triple science so having to take exceptional diplomas etc. - you should investigate this yourself, maybe. Probably the decision will come down to which country you want to study in and what you want to study. Look at the conversions for IB --> Abitur and also the required subjects for anything you're interested in pursuing at University.

What I mainly came to say was that 'only since 2006' is actually quite a long time for an IB school! :P Not too far off 10 years.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I actually want to go to University in either the UK or the US :) though I'm not sure about which University in particular yet.

Well, the German Abitur covers a very broad range of subjects (most of which are mandatory, like History, Music, Political studies etc.(also you have to take at least three languages and one science)) so you have take about 14 classes and don't have the opportunity to specialize and it is a lot of work to be good in all of your subjects.... That's actually one of the main reasons I'm considering IB.

On the other hand, I would have to drop some of my favourite subjects in order to start IB, like Italian and French.

But I'm also a bit worried about the external assesments in IB because I'm not used to this kind of assesment in the German School System. Our final grades are determined by different internal assesments (oral and written) throughout the two years of the "Oberstufe" and the participation in the different classes (the final exams Count only for about 20 percent of the final grade) so I'm also nervous about the final exams ...

It really depends where you want to study. The German Abitur is good and it is very useful in Germany, and you also have the opportunity to study abroad. If you take the IB, however, it is a lot more difficult, as many German universities don't recognise the IB and they have a lot of specific requirements (like taking 3 languages), which prevents you from, for example, taking 2 sciences. The advantage of IB is that you actually study in English, which prepares you for university if you want to study abroad. Many lecturers in Germany speak English sometimes too, so it is definitely useful to be able to understand concepts in English as well.

Personally I would base my decision mostly on where I want to go to university. I used to go to a German school in London so I am familiar with the system and have friends who have done the Abitur and want to study in the UK.

My advice is the following:

If you are sure you want to study in the UK then do the IB, simply because the entry requirements are easier compared to the Abitur. For the top ten UK unis for example you will want at least a 1.5 Schnitt. That being said, it depends on how comfortable you are with the German system and you think you can easily get a 1.5 in the Abi. If not, the IB may be the better option because those same unis will "only" require a grade in the high 30's (or less).

Some of my friends have had trouble trying to get into a decent uni in the UK just because the unis don't now how to interpret and convert the German grades.

Can't really help you with the US, except for the fact that your SATs will be hundred times more important than your actual IB grade.

Hope this helps!

If you want to go to university in Germany, do the Abitur. It is actually fully recognized and aside from grades in certain subjects I don't think there are any hoops you have to jump through.

If you want to go to the UK, do the IB, because the entry requirements and conversions are much more flattering in the IB than in the Abitur.

If you want to go to the US, it becomes a bit tricky. On one hand, they have 'holistic' admissions, which means they don't just look at your grades, they look at your subjects and how tough your courseload generally is. The IB is a very taxing programme; which makes it look better in the adcom's eyes. Additionally, it shows them motivation and drive and dedication, and that you take advantage of the opportunities provided to you. However, you have to do the equally important SAT, which takes time to prepare for, and in the IB, I don't get the feeling that you get a lot of time. You would have more time in the Abitur, and likely be able to prepare for the SAT better, but you would look less alluring than a similar applicant who took the IB. It's a call you would have to make.

Well, I'm currently in year ten and my last "schnitt" was actually 1,0. Up to now I went through School relatively effortless...

I'm also considering the IB because I think that it would be a great Advantage to study my Chosen subjects in Englisch and Because I think that it could also be an interesting challenge ( in fact I skipped year nine completely and I'm still bored in School).

What do you think ? Is it worth the challenge ?

Hi there,

I currently do the German Abitur as well as the IB at the German School London. I am in year 11 and to be honest, it is quite a lot of work but from my experience, the Abitur covers a lot of the IB and the standards of the two qualifications are very similar. It really depends on whether or not you are open to invest a lot of time in school over the next two years but if you have an 1,0er ;) you should be absolutely fine! I have 2,0 and my IB predictions are better then my Abitur so it seems like the two go very well hand in hand.

Hope this is a bit of help :)

• 8 years later...
On 5/21/2014 at 10:23 PM, Clrroth said:

Hi there,

I currently do the German Abitur as well as the IB at the German School London. I am in year 11 and to be honest, it is quite a lot of work but from my experience, the Abitur covers a lot of the IB and the standards of the two qualifications are very similar. It really depends on whether or not you are open to invest a lot of time in school over the next two years but if you have an 1,0er ;) you should be absolutely fine! I have 2,0 and my IB predictions are better then my Abitur so it seems like the two go very well hand in hand.

Hope this is a bit of help :)

What did you do after finishing at the DSL? I am considering doing both too