A little guide on Media Literacy Analysis

I decided that this area is the only one I am strong in, and I am very eager to help people (simply because I have nothing else to do), so I would like to share my Bible (that I wrote) about media literacy analysis with the IBS community. Enjoy !

--> You need to know a little about the news agent that you received your article from. Read some other articles of theirs and see if they are biased or not. This is not very necessary but very very helpful.

--> Look at the title. Sometimes that tiny little phrase will structure the half of your analysis, so it is important. It gives you a little glimpse of the context of the article and gives you an idea of what perspective you are about to read.

--> Check out any strong words used by the author (such as "Putin's empire" "failure", "rioter", "terrorist" vice versa.) Give extra emphasis on 'this mark' because it symbolizes sarcasm (For example: 'graciously suggesting' means 'meanly forcing'). If strong language is used, the article is biased and somehow provocative.

--> Check out any soft words used (which is euphemism). Soft words are used in order to be gentle on people's feelings so people would not be provocated, the opposite of the purpose of strong language.Here is a simple example of strong language and euphemism.

Large number of people dead: Massacre (strong language)

Collateral damage (euphemism)

--> Check if the article is telling a story or showing what people say or think (this means quotes used) Personally, if the article is telling a story, the topic needs further investigation. Make a list of the persons who owns the quotes used in the article and find out which side of the story they represent: for or against. They usually represent for side, but still be precautious, because this is IB.

--> A journalist can also choose the information that he or she wants to give to their audience. Analyze the information given by the author and find out the purpose. The source of the information is also important, so people would be more relying on that. Check the source is mentioned or not. If the source is not mentioned, it might not be as reliable as the reader thinks.

--> Vague language is contained the information given by the author. If you have the phrase "several rioters" instead of "nine rioters", or "a number of public areas is damaged" instead of "a school, two supermarkets and two bookstores is damaged", it is vague language, and it also means that the author does not want you to know much about this. Find out the purpose of this usage of vague language.

--> Target audience is highly important. Read the article several times to understand who does the author wants to reach. Make a little background research about the news agent if you don't know which country they originate (yes, it is VERY important)

--> Always remember that these methods mentioned above are serving a purpose, and that purpose is what is author trying to imply on their target audience. Context and purpose is extremely important, because they are usually the basis of your thesis. If strong language, alarming information or no information and quotes from one side only or no quotes are used, the article is provocating. If the article contains euphemisms, and quotes from both sides and general information, the article is written to inform people about recent updates.

--> Keep in mind that media is the biggest power in the world, because it can easily manipulate people's ideas. Remember that you are aware of the tricks and methods used by media to manipulate and making an analysis out of it, and be proud that you are smart enough to do it while concluding your analysis paper.

If I ever have some freetime (hopefully) I might make it broader and more detailed and put it on the Files section of the site. Have a nice survival !

• Like 1