IBHL Euro History Exam 2014

Windy90

For Paper 2: The questions were absolutely solid, I did question 1 (Tactic/Strategic errors in WWI) and question 15(?) on the economic policies and use of force (Mao was used as an example).

For Paper 3: Questions were great, I did questions on Alexander II, February Revolution and Wilhelm II's foreign objectives. There were many great questions that came up (E.g. Directory, Regin of Terror) beside those.

Why are you scared :)?

Overall, I was very satisfied with History! Paper 1 was perfectly fine, I had actually expected something like the 14 points since I hadn't seen it before on any past paper. On Paper 2 I could have done a bit better - I wish I'd studied economic policies more closely so I could go into a bit more detail :P Paper 3 was amazing, I loved the questions. Our teacher had prepared us for pretty much all of them. :)

Edited by karolyon3

For me, paper 2 was the best paper that could ever have come up. With questions on Weimar, Mao's policies and the wartime conferences, I couldn't chose which questions to do - they were all great!

Paper 3 was a different story, where none of the things I studied came up :/ It was a tough paper for me.

Did anyone else think that the sources in paper 1 were weird or was it just me?

Paper 1 Tz2 Communism in crisis was great! It was on the USSR invasion of Afghanistan and the sources were really easy (although i expected Deng Xiaopin). For paper two, i did topic 1 (factors which hindered international peace) and topic 3 (Role of education for Mao and Hitler).

I thought the questions in Paper 3 were fine, but I'm worried I messed up my last essay. I wrote it on the arts in the UK in the 2nd half of the 20th Century, and halfway through my conclusion realized I was writing about Film and TV, which aren't necessarily considered to be art but rather just entertainment. By that time we had ten minutes left and it was too late to do anything, so I just hope the examiner accepts it as answering the question! (I consider these things to be part of the arts, which is why I didn't give it a second thought while writing the outline, so I think it mainly depends on whether the examiner feels the same way...)

Otherwise I wrote about Saudi Arabia (which I studied independently of my class and revised the day before, so seeing that question put a huge grin on my face) and whether Germans were satisfied between 1933-39.

Did anyone else choose that question on Germany under Hitler? What did you write about? I wrote that "most" Germans were definitely not satisfied because of the marginalization of so many social groups despite his successful policies (eg. "full" employment, which was really just the employment of all Aryan men). It seems most people in my class took a different approach, focusing on his successes and concluding that most Germans were, in fact, satisfied, so I'm interested in seeing what everyone else thinks!

Omg, @battlescarves, I also wrote on Hitler Germany and I used the same wording (ish)! Did you also include foreign policies or only domestic, since it said "in Germany" so I thought it was only domestic. I feel so bad now.

I thought the questions in Paper 3 were fine, but I'm worried I messed up my last essay. I wrote it on the arts in the UK in the 2nd half of the 20th Century, and halfway through my conclusion realized I was writing about Film and TV, which aren't necessarily considered to be art but rather just entertainment. By that time we had ten minutes left and it was too late to do anything, so I just hope the examiner accepts it as answering the question! (I consider these things to be part of the arts, which is why I didn't give it a second thought while writing the outline, so I think it mainly depends on whether the examiner feels the same way...)

Otherwise I wrote about Saudi Arabia (which I studied independently of my class and revised the day before, so seeing that question put a huge grin on my face) and whether Germans were satisfied between 1933-39.

Did anyone else choose that question on Germany under Hitler? What did you write about? I wrote that "most" Germans were definitely not satisfied because of the marginalization of so many social groups despite his successful policies (eg. "full" employment, which was really just the employment of all Aryan men). It seems most people in my class took a different approach, focusing on his successes and concluding that most Germans were, in fact, satisfied, so I'm interested in seeing what everyone else thinks!

I did the Germany satisfied question and wrote his successes and failures but I did not say he was successful. Instead, I said he may have been successful in satisfying them on a superficial level but a deeper social/psychological revolution did not take place.. linking to Kershaw. I think either approach probably worked fine to be honest but it sounds like you answered it in a more sophisticated way ... i'm hoping I did too! I was happy with the paper 3 questions and got pretty lucky with the choices.

Edited by ibsurvivor2014

Omg, @battlescarves, I also wrote on Hitler Germany and I used the same wording (ish)! Did you also include foreign policies or only domestic, since it said "in Germany" so I thought it was only domestic. I feel so bad now.

I don't think I mentioned his foreign policies. I wrote about the Versailles Treaty in my outline but I think I only mentioned it in passing in my essay. Mainly I focused on the marginalization of the Jews (acknowledging the Nuremberg Laws and the fact that after 1935 they were technically no longer Germans), women (especially with regards to employment) and then mentioned the marginalization of religious groups and euthanasia a bit less in-depth.

Why do you feel bad? I don't think mentioning foreign policy was necessary for that essay question. Surely someone could probably incorporate it, but it wasn't the main focus of the question!

Edited by battlescarves

@battlescarves: Thanks so much, feel so much better now. I felt bad since when I asked my friends about it later they were like "oh, I talked about foreign policies", but I really thought that was NOT what the question was asking. Also, I didn't exactly know how to answer the question, I just kinda described his policies. I talked about his economic (autarky), political (consolidation to power, really, which thankfully falls within the timeframe of 1933-39) and social (women, homosexuals and such). I talked to my teacher and she said you don't have time to talk about EVERYTHING so that made me feel better. :)