IB Geography HL Paper 3 Tips?

emantse

Hey all,

So we were left to learn about half of the Geo extensions and the content seems overwhelming large.

Anyone have an effective way of cramming the extensions throughout the weekend (while studying Chem Paper 1/2 and Geo Paper 2 ahha)

Thanks in advance! :)

Really, I'm not sure how much it is possible to 'cram' for Paper 3 because there is so, so much content. I would probably advise that you look at the case studies/examples you've got currently and figure out whether you can twist the same facts to fit the other syllabus points - e.g. you could look at a case study of McDonalds - and that would be applicable for a study of TNCs, cultural imperialism/hegemony, and glocalisation. Moreover, you can use Paper 1 and Paper 2 case studies/knowledge in Paper 3 - e.g. I took a lot of the tourism stuff in Option E and used it to talk about transport, economic flows and cultural diffusion. It saves a lot of time and effort. Then, figure out what 'gaps' of knowledge and examples in the syllabus you have and fill them up quickly by doing some internet research. After that, I would suggest doing perhaps 2 or 3 real questions (should only take 2-3 hours, ideally!) and that will give you some practice in how to structure essay questions and choose appropriate examples. The great thing about Paper 3 questions are that because they are open-ended and require 'synthesis' between topics, often you can just avoid writing what you don't know about and focus on what you know, as long as you make the link to the question clear. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Looked at the recommended teaching times, pretty sure our teacher inverted everything,

We spent a tonne of time on core and options spanning whole semesters, and virtually nothing on extensions >< yikes.

Thanks for the help though, I shall try to look for case studies

• Like 1

Guest jessfaulknerr

I'm the same for paper 3, there's just so much to remember. I'm putting most of my focus into paper 2, just remember that one is 35% of the final grade!