Math HL paper 3 sets, relations and groups

Zaidxii

I was wondering how every one did on this paper. I did TZ2, and have found it very difficult relative to the past five years. I really feel that the IB mis led us with this paper, seeing as the specimen had nothing to do with this paper and did nothing to prepare us for whats to come. The IB decided to completely change the whole question style (question 2 & 3), and have done horrors with question 4. All in all, i managed to answer questions 1 & 2, struggled with 3, and managed to BS my way through 4. Hopefully the curve would be much lower for this paper.

How did every one else do?

Did you find it difficult?

Lets discuss

Note: I am writing this post 30 hours after my exam, so the 24 hour rule no longer applies.

• Like 1

The sets option paper is TZ0, so mine should be the same with yours.

Question 3--I completely forgot about the X×Y thing and didn't revise for it, but managed to guess that one correctly.

Question 4--ran out of time to do the last part, but otherwise it was fine, as the fact that f is a group homomorphism is given, we can just use the property that f preserves the operation to prove the things they asked.

The paper still included the common topics such as the four group axioms, definition of equivalence relation, sets operations and group homomorphism, so I don't think it's too strange.

PS: the 24 hour rule is for GMT time, not your exam time.

So for example you finishes your exam at 13:00 pm but it's only 7:00 am GMT(according to your displayed time zone), so you'll have to wait until 18:00 GMT in the next day which is 33 hours later.

Yes, this was a horrible paper. questions 2 and 3 was kinda different to what the ib usually asks. I panicked on the 4th question, but it seems that most of the question was a theorem that was proven in the pearson's option topic text. I fear i might be losing 30-40 points. I came home and played ominous music and wore an afghan over my head. I am truly fearing for this paper. Hopefully my high 6 in p2, low 6 in p1 and 7 in IA helps to bring this low 3 of p3. to a overall 6 or 5.

it was quite a bad day, i almost left my gdc there.

This paper was NASTY! I did horribly overall. I panicked so bad when I saw the third questions but I managed to solve it somehow. Question 4 wasn't bad but I couldn't even finish the paper properly so I didn't have time to do the last part either. This paper ruined my feelings about maths hl this year - I thought I did pretty well on p1 and p2, but this....this was beyond awful.

SO terrified for results day.

To be honest... what the asdfjklas;df was this paper. My entire class laughed during reading time, and when we handed it in... it was so bad that it was laughable. ><

I found the TZ2 paper extremely difficult compared to previous years. But I managed just fine, finished the paper exactly at 60 minutes did not have time to check anything.

Problem 1. easy enough, everybody should have written it.
Problem 5. again easy enough, happy with the Homomorphisms, it asked 2 proofs that were present in the book so yeah, I don't complain.

I don't remember by numbers but the one that asked to prove that 3s_1 + 5s_2 belongs to Z was equivalence relation was rather hard, I seriously struggled with it. But still managed.

The one that asked about drawing on a Cartesian plane was a fun question I appreciated it being there. It was very different from what IB asks, and yet so engaging, had higher mid difficulty.

I Honestly don't remember the other one.

I hope to get something higher than 50 though. Challenging as hell, man I'm telling you this was probably hardest P3 on sets and groups in the whole history. (and I've written all P3 s that I could find from 2003 up to now.

Guest Rvp9oranje

I found the TZ2 paper extremely difficult compared to previous years. But I managed just fine, finished the paper exactly at 60 minutes did not have time to check anything.

Problem 1. easy enough, everybody should have written it.

Problem 5. again easy enough, happy with the Homomorphisms, it asked 2 proofs that were present in the book so yeah, I don't complain.

I don't remember by numbers but the one that asked to prove that 3s_1 + 5s_2 belongs to Z was equivalence relation was rather hard, I seriously struggled with it. But still managed.

The one that asked about drawing on a Cartesian plane was a fun question I appreciated it being there. It was very different from what IB asks, and yet so engaging, had higher mid difficulty.

I Honestly don't remember the other one.

I hope to get something higher than 50 though. Challenging as hell, man I'm telling you this was probably hardest P3 on sets and groups in the whole history. (and I've written all P3 s that I could find from 2003 up to now.

How did you do the cartesian question ? like how did the graphs look ?

I'm sorry i answer this very very late. I don't exactly get notifications :D

Anyway if you're still interested. The first one were horizontal lines y=1, y=2 .... y = 5 the domain of each was (0, 1) WITHOUT the end points I can't stress it enough. The second one were vertical lines x = 1, x =2 ...... x = 5 With Range (0,1) again without the endpoints so the intersection was an empty set.