Do school marks or IB marks matter more?

Hanna808

I don't think I did very well on my recent IB exams. However, I have over 95 for my in-class mark. Are IB marks required for Canadian universities or can we choose whether to give it to them or not? Will my chances be decreased if my IB marks are low?

The universities I've looked into only ask for IB grades. These are McGill, Concordia, University of Montreal and UBC.

I'm not sure what you mean by in-class mark, these aren't used in the school I attend. Then again, I'm taking the ib in the US; Canadian universities may have an alternative system worked out with their in-country schools.

My offers didn't specifically mention IB grades, although they said I could get credits for my HL courses.

Since you are in Canada I'd imagine the situation would be similar, although I'm not sure--if you are applying after you get the results it might be different.

I looked over multiple universities in Europe (the ones I am considering or considered going to) and not a single one of them was even concerned about your in-class grade.

I know that in my home country (Poland) in-class grades are never taken under consideration, and I suppose it might be true for the vast majority of universities.

If you are a domestic applicant, then IB marks shouldn't affect your chances of admission at any Canadian university. McGill does, however, requires you to switch into U1 instead of U0 (Basically year 2) if you have enough IB/AP credits. Most universities do give university credits for a 5 or higher in HL subjects. The program that I'm going next year couldn't care less about IB grades, and they don't even offer these transfer university credits.

If you are going into a Canadian university, it depends on what you're looking for. You can get admitted if you have a very high grade in your high school (if you apply under those conditions), and then you can get advanced standing from the IB courses (granted, if you have the required grades to make the equivalent courses be skipped).