Physics SL Paper 1 and 2 TZ 1

Hanna808

My friend and I saw our physics teacher today. We took up the exams today, and we found it to be average in terms of difficulty (I actually think P2 was on the easier side). There were some tricky questions in P1 like always. But we should have 4~6 questions to give for a 7 on P1 anyway.

In terms of difficulty, Paper 1>Paper 2> Paper 3. I was happy that most of the questions on Paper 1 where very similar to past papers, that make it really easy. For Paper 2, I hate graph questions especially the part A, part B6 was way to easy in my opinion, I had two word answers for some of the questions and the circuits was nothing. Paper 3 was the easiest to me since I followed the syllabus, there was a guarantee that the Rayleigh Criterion would be on it since it is obj. 1 on the syllabus. Overall, it was fun and I hope I get a 7, I've been working my ass off studying the material.

I definitely agree with everything Brainiac said. It was honestly easier than my mock and the one practice test I did on my own. I did the option on paper 2 about atomic and thermo and am so glad that combination was together. Those were probably two of my best units, mainly because they coincide with the thermo and atomic units of AP Chemistry. Oh and opinions on the merry-go-round thing...? I was so confused and made sure not to choose that option for paper 2.

• Like 1

I actually loved the merry-go-round problem!! That was definitely the one in section B I was most confident about because mechanics was the unit we spent the most time on at my school. ^_^

Paper 3 kinda destroyed my class; I'm almost positive I got more than 20 points though, so crossing fingers for a 6. Paper 1 had some strange questions, as mentioned, but overall it could have been a whole ton worse. Paper 2 was pretty good.

I'm hoping for a 6 overall because our IAs are always marked down a ton. Do you guys know how much yours are marked down on average? Because apparently at my school it's around 10 points :/

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I didn't think paper 3 was that easy. Difficulty was average-ish compared to past papers.

I picked Option A and G. Opt A took quite a bit of my time (The proof on Q2.a. took a while for me), so I didn't have enough time to thoroughly think my answers for the last question of G.

For paper 2, I chose Q5 (Atomic+Thermo). Quite straightforward, although I think the majority of my class also chose to do Q6.

Some tricky questions for my classmates were:

- P1: Average speed of a point on a wave is zero (I don't even know why the graph was even given)

Point mass and the gravitational force exerted by two large masses - oscillates about point P. Use vector addition, and you see that there is a restoring force that always points towards P.

Ratio between kinetic energies - 2 because temperature was doubled.

Graph between v and x - Circular graph; you can deduce this if you looked up the formula in the data booklet and realize that it wouldn't be a function. Unfortunately the sinusoidal function seemed to be a popular choice.

Uncertainty of sphere - A minority of people used pi*r^2 instead of 4/3*pi*r^3. I don't blame them considering we let go of math last year.

^Oh I got something different on the average speed question- but wouldn't that be for average velocity, not speed?? Sorry I get confuzzled easily with the paper 1 questions ^_^;

I initially read speed of the wave so I used the universal wave equation (which led me to the wrong answer).

This is what my teacher said: a point on a wave goes up - then down (or maybe it was something about not moving at all?). Averages out to be zero apparently. Or something along the lines of that, I can't remember too well :S.

As an afterthought, I'm confused as well. I can understand why average velocity can be zero, but speed would seem to be distance/time.

Edited by by.andrew