IB success story!

Guest syrianstar

Congratulations! That is one amazing success story and I'm really happy with the way everything turned out for you :P Experiences like yours remind us that nothing is impossible and that we can achieve the highest if we try our best!

I hope this success continues throughout your university life and into your career. Congratulations again! :D

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting up your story and giving the rest of us advice. :P

Personally, it's so hard to focus that I'm always afraid.

But lately, inspirational quotes and stories have helped me get through.

So, thank you!! And just like what everybody else has said, CONGRATULATIONS! :o

"I'm sure if you guys study hard then you'll be able achieve all your goals as well."

I like how you put that. :)

I am confused as to what you mean? What are translated scores, and how do you know what your IB Exam score percentage is based on your 1-7 test scores?

If you can answer these questions that would be much appreciated.

Anyways, congrats on the success.

It's some special canadian thing where they try to approximate what you would've got in the normal system (which if I'm not mistaken is a percentage score system) by "translating" your IB scores. How they do it is a little bit of a mystery to me - it seems that a 7 is worth an absolutely massive amount in terms of the percentage it comes out as. As _inthemaking said, it seems that your "class rank" has something to do with it (being the best in your class, I assume...? Obviously it pays to go to school with stupid people :P ). Anyway I think they do it so students can be compared across different academic programmes and therefore help out with university selection. Technically we have a similar thing in the UK (UCAS points), only it's nowhere near as favourable for IB students AND universities don't actually seem to use it.

Wow! It would be cool to get the highest average in the school...but to get the highest in the whole region...that's awesome! Congrats to you for getting such high marks :P I happen to live in Ontario as well, but not in York Region (I live in Peel Region).

Thanks for the inspiration by the way. I'm going to enter the IB program in September 2010! Wish me luck :o

I am confused as to what you mean? What are translated scores, and how do you know what your IB Exam score percentage is based on your 1-7 test scores?

If you can answer these questions that would be much appreciated.

Anyways, congrats on the success.

This probably doesn't apply to you since as far as I know it may just be a Canadian/Ontario thing but I live in Ontario, and the province usually goes by percentage grades (0-100%) for our report cards. However, people in the IB program end up with an IB grade (1-7) and these marks are then "translated" back to percentages in order to be able to compare us to people in the regular programs when applying for admission to universities and whatnot. Each school will do things differently but what my school did was they looked at your rank in each IB class before the final IB exams. For example, I had a 96% in IB biology before exams and that mark was the highest out of all IB bio students, and I ended up getting a level 7 on the bio exam, so I was given the 100% in the 96-100% range for level 7. If I had gotten a level 6 on the exam, then I would get a translated mark of 95% (highest in the level 6 range of 90-95%). Get it?

My high school has this system to encourage students to work hard all year rather than slack off during the year and study hard for exams, because this way it benefits you to be doing well in each subject prior to exams.

Wow! It would be cool to get the highest average in the school...but to get the highest in the whole region...that's awesome! Congrats to you for getting such high marks :P I happen to live in Ontario as well, but not in York Region (I live in Peel Region).

Thanks for the inspiration by the way. I'm going to enter the IB program in September 2010! Wish me luck :o

Thanks :) and good luck with IB! I'm sure you'll be able to do really well!