Politics/International Relations

cokesandcokes

What's a pilot subject? :|

It's the only class during which I would not like to gouge my eyes out. AKA my favorite class ;)

It's very interesting, only if you're into this stuff. We study concepts, organizations, etc.

Examples: national security, international law, human rights, NATO, Arab League, EU, IGOs and NGOs, Democratic peace theory, realism, globalization, liberalism, power

What's a pilot subject? :|

It's the only class during which I would not like to gouge my eyes out. AKA my favorite class ;)

It's very interesting, only if you're into this stuff. We study concepts, organizations, etc.

Examples: national security, international law, human rights, NATO, Arab League, EU, IGOs and NGOs, Democratic peace theory, realism, globalization, liberalism, power

I'd love to study that! :P So jelaous f.t.m :P

It is! It's a shame they don't offer it as much. I guess they save group 6 subjects for the creative arts and whatnot.

For those who are interested, I've attached the syllabus and the markscheme. And maybe if you guys speak to your IBCs about the class, they might consider it- it's a pretty kick-ass class haha.

Surprisingly, there are only 5 students in my class...but sooo many people regret not taking it, and all 5 of us are acing it.

World_Politics__IR_Syllabus.pdf

World_Politics_Markscheme.pdf

Edited by cokesandcokes

since its a pilot sunject as you mentioned earlier, you would not have the ability of getting past papers, however I think there may be sample papers that IBO will distribute, however I am not that sure. Furthermore, let me tell you how jealous I am that you are able to take up this subject. I hope to major Political Science in University. Just a curious question, what does this subject say about the middle east?

Edited by hamani

since its a pilot sunject as you mentioned earlier, you would not have the ability of getting past papers, however I think there may be sample papers that IBO will distribute, however I am not that sure. Furthermore, let me tell you how jealous I am that you are able to take up this subject. I hope to major Political Science in University. Just a curious question, what does this subject say about the middle east?

it doesn't exactly "say" anything- the last thing we did before school ended was the palestinian-israeli conflict. we studied its history, then we analyzed it using concepts and theories we learned in class. we also briefly looked at the role of the middle east in the cold war. pretty fascinating stuff.

hahaha thanks. yeah, polsci is my uni major for sure.

thing is, we've yet to see an IR past paper <_< . might have to talk to my IBC about that.

Well, seeing that it's a school-based syllabus and the first examinations are in may 2009, you shouldn't expect to see past papers too soon either :punish: . This is also why it's so rare; as a school-based syllabus, schools would have to apply for permission from the IBO to teach the subject.

Well, seeing that it's a school-based syllabus and the first examinations are in may 2009, you shouldn't expect to see past papers too soon either <_< . This is also why it's so rare; as a school-based syllabus, schools would have to apply for permission from the IBO to teach the subject.

Oh ok..I'll just have to settle for asking the M08 graduates what the exam was like. Too bad it's still a pilot subject though; people are missing out on a lot :punish:

• 1 month later...

I wish we had that, the closest subject is history really. And in my current class of 13 people 4 of us are applying to study International Relations in university, so it really would be relevant.

Although with the new history syllabus (for 2010 that I'm missing out on), our school has decided to teach the Arab-Israeli conflict for the first time instead of covering the USSR. Seeing as I go to school in Jerusalem, this is obviously going to be a big problem in terms of opinions (with half the class being radically Zionist and half pro-Palestinian).

How did it work out in your school when you covered the topic? Was there anyones who was radically opinionated? I'm curious to know, because in another school here my friend studied International Politics for his AP class and there was a lot of heated debate there too.

Seeing as I go to school in Jerusalem, this is obviously going to be a big problem in terms of opinions (with half the class being radically Zionist and half pro-Palestinian).

Wow- that should be an interesting discussion. There are only five of us in class and we were pretty much in consensus when it came to studying the the conflict...but even though we were pro-Palestinian, we made sure to put ourselves in their shoes- but only to develop arguments against them :) Our ToK class has actually had quite a few heated debates about the topic because the class has both radical Zionists and pro-Palestinian students.

• 2 years later...

it doesn't exactly "say" anything- the last thing we did before school ended was the palestinian-israeli conflict. we studied its history, then we analyzed it using concepts and theories we learned in class. we also briefly looked at the role of the middle east in the cold war. pretty fascinating stuff.

which book do you use for the politics/international relations subject??????