Maths Studies or SL for completely unrelated course?

joeykmt

Hi

I'm a first year IB student taking:

Art HL

English Lit HL

Physics HL

Maths SL

History SL

French SL

There are three potential subjects I want to study at university: Art History, Philosophy and Fine Art.

I'm predicted 43-45 points at the moment - but I was wondering do Universities care about Maths if it's not at all related to your course?

It's not that I find maths difficult, rather are teacher sets us 2-3 hours of repetitive questions every other day, time I'd rather spend reading or doing something else. I'm predicted a 6 or 7, but it's the work load our teacher puts on us that is just time wasted for me.

So will the top universities look down on Maths Studies when it's not related at all to the course? (Art History at Cambridge, Fine Art at Ruskin, Art History and Philosophy at UCL)

Please no answers such as if you find it easy do it - That's not the point, I'm asking about University Points of View. Also with Physics I talked to my teacher who said the Mathematics wouldn't be a problem if I changed to Studies as he knows I'm more than capable of doing it. (I chose Physics out of interest and enjoying the teacher, more so than 'needing' it in the future)

Thank you!

Before taking studies, I researched about this issue A LOT. What I can say is that it totally depends on the university. Some universities, according to their websites (like Edinburgh) requires Maths SL even for unrelated courses like Politics, whereas most of the UK universities don't care. If you cannot find relevant info on their website, I would advise you to contact the admissions office via e-mail.

Before taking studies, I researched about this issue A LOT. What I can say is that it totally depends on the university. Some universities, according to their websites (like Edinburgh) requires Maths SL even for unrelated courses like Politics, whereas most of the UK universities don't care. If you cannot find relevant info on their website, I would advise you to contact the admissions office via e-mail.

Edinburgh do not need SL for unrelated courses. I got in for History with Studies.

I think that Edinburgh requires Mathematics SL or Science at 4. So if you have Physics then I don't see a problem.

I also had some doubts when I was dropping to Studies (I want to study History and Politics/History and a language) but I contacted a few students who got to universities like Durham, Edinburgh or St. Andrews for History/Philosophy/Comparative Literature/Politics and they all had Math Studies.

I would really recommend you to drop. I can feel the difference and I have improved in all of my other subjects as I simply have more time. Plus I don't panic every Saturday doing maths homework ;)

I started off in the ib programme taking maths sl and dropped down to studies, as i want to go into fine art or art history. It was honestly one of the best decisions i've made taking this course. Maths studies is incredibly similar to IGCSE maths with a few obstacles thrown in. I have personally found it really easy and it has also given me a lot more time for other work such as art (which will be the death of me at some point). I highly recommend that you move down to studies however make sure you get in contact with your universities of choice to make sure that you meet the requirements as quite a few deem maths studies as not equivalent to general year 12 maths and so forth, despite the fact that art based courses have next to no maths involved. Good luck! :bye:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I do Maths Studies and have done from the start of my program, but there was another girl in my class taking Studies along with Physics SL and ended up completely dropping out of IB due to being unable to cope with the mathematical component of Physics and regretfully wishing she'd chosen bio or chem. It only took her 6 months to drop out too.So I would be cautious if you thinking of taking STudies with HL Physics because you might struggle a bit there.