Ahhhhh I need help with the spanish SL oral assessment....

I have it in two days, and I am so nervous for it.... Any tips on how to prepare for it, and how to organize my actual presentation? As a little refresher to anyone that hasn't taken it yet for this year, you choose one picture out of a set of two. You then get 15 minutes to prepare, and you then go straight into a room with a recorder to speak about it for 3-4 minutes, after this the teacher asks you some questions for a few minutes. We have been practicing these for the past week in school, but I just always seem to repeat my same ideas for the entire 3 minutes :/. I can speak pretty good spanish but just under this pressure, I cannot seem to come up with more than one idea. I am freaking out so much because I need to do good on this. Any tips would be greatly appeciated!

Do some research on your topics and find ways to incorporate that into your speaking. My topics were either OMGs, immigration, cultural assimilation, or Puerto Rico so I made sure to know some facts that weren't covered in class to throw in depending on what photos I got. Also for the first minute or two talk solely about what the picture looks like/what is in the picture starting from the background to foreground, left to right. This helps you take up some time and not repeat yourself.

My teacher told us not to take up more than 45 seconds describing the picture, but if you really don't have anything to say, go for it.

If you know what topics you might get ahead of time, read a couple of articles from BBC Mundo or another Spanish news publication. That way, if you get a couple minutes in, say, "Yo lei un articulo sobre _____ y el articulo dijo _______". (Sorry, I don't know how to do accents on here).

Also, don't forget to mention what option for IB the picture falls under.

Make cultural connections with the culture in the picture and your own culture. If you/your parents come from a different country, be sure to compare/contrast that with the picture as well.

Personal examples of whatever is happening in the picture are always really easy. They don't even have to be real. It's often easier to talk about something you have done with friends or family too.

In the planning period, make sure to write down any vocab words, connecting words, and phrases that you want to include.

Buena Suerte!

For my oral, I just looked through all the articles we had read in class to refresh myself on all the vocabulary we had covered. It also helped me remember more facts about the topics we had covered as well. For me, the ideas/message criteria was never the problem, it was grammatical errors, but I memorized so much good vocabulary that it brought my language criteria up to a 9/10. For ideas, themes are very important and can help you relate the picture to the larger world context. If you can relate the picture to more than one theme, do it! For me, the way I structured it was description of picture, cultural connection, which led to the themes/topics and finally I addressed the subtitle of the picture and thus my personal opinion (don't know if there's a subtitle for SL).

If you want to score high on ideas, you shouldn't spend too much of your time describing the picture. Of course, if you don't have enough to say then by all means do, but only description doesn't lead to the higher level ideas they are looking for. Especially if your picture relates to a problem in society etc., you can discuss how it could be fixed, thus bringing both complex ideas and grammatical structures.

Another thing our teacher did before our Orals was remind us of some complex grammatical structures we could throw in into the presentation. "Si *imperfect subjunctive* blablabla *conditional*. For example, "Si tuvieramos mas tiempo, tendriamos notas mas mejores"

You can write a fancier sentence for yourself to say during your presentation to have better language.

If ideas are your problem, just brainstorm related ideas before your presentation and jot them down, and remember all the things you need to address.

(Sorry for the mistakes I'm on my phone :P)

Edited by citizenoftheuniverse