changes in syllabus of maths hl?

Hey! I personally think that it's worth practising papers even from older syllabi, because the content has remained largely the same apart from formatting/GDC changes. There have been new syllabi in 2006, 2008 and 2014. You are sort of forced to use past papers from old syllabi to practise given you are the first session for the new syllabus (so be wary of questions based on matrices - and if you're doing the calculus option, then it's been pretty seriously changed from the old series and differential equations option) - but most of the questions should still be applicable. The syllabus changes from 2006 to 2008 were mostly to do with formatting, with no major content changes.

So, if time is limited, I would suggest that you start from 2008 and work your way progressively up to November 2012/May 2013. Then, if you've got time, head back to 2006 and 2007 papers, and save the most recent papers to the very last days before your exam - with the rationale being that the new syllabus papers for 2014 will most resemble the most recent papers for the old syllabus. Having said that, I personally found the November 2013 Paper 1 and Paper 2 bizarrely and unusually easy so perhaps they will ramp up the difficulty for May 2014!

Best of luck with your studying. :) If you want more detail on syllabus changes, I posted a lot more detail on this link.

• Like 1

Apart from a select few topics, notably matrices, the syllabus has remained quite consistent throughout the years, at least thats what my Math teacher said when she gave us a whole host of old old math past papers as practice and a warning.

Good luck :)

John

Edited by John Hoose