When can I start collecting CAS hours?

I would advise you to get your planning done and ready so that when you start IB you can immediately get CAS started! The hardest thing, in my opinion, is having enough ideas that are innovative, long term and can include a combination of creativity, action and service! You can always start in the summer and then see what your CAS coordinator decides as they could be willing to let you count those hours. It is never to early to start as it gets you in the CAS spirit!

Hope this helped!

P.s

CAS is a great way for stress relief for school work so don't worry too much about it being time consuming because you get it done faster than you think, especially if you incorporate it in you everyday activities!

Yes I know a few people who finished their whole CAS in the summer before IB1, so I suggest you do that too in order to focus on your studies without the pressure of attending and participating in extracurricular activities. If you don't finish it this summer, you can also do it in the summer in between IB1 and IB2, however you will have work over summer then, so I recommend you do it before IB1. I wish someone told me to do it all beforehand, because it really put pressure on me at times when I didn't need the extra stress. Good luck! :)

Ideally you should ask your IB Co-ordinator/CAS Co-ordinator whether this is allowed at your school. We were not allowed to count any activities we completed before the first day of the IB1 year.

CAS rules/regulations are basically enforced BY the person in charge at your school, so the fact somebody else is or isn't allowed to do something is never a helpful piece of information... unless they're at the same school as you :P Always ask your specific CAS person.