IB Film or IB Music?

mellonstarburst

I haven't taken either, but to my understanding, for IB Music you need to have some prior knowledge of music theory. You need to be able to apply it, and also be able to play an instrument. IB Film might not require as much prior knowledge. Go through the subject guides to figure out whether or not you want to take the course. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi :)

I know nothing about IB film (they don't run it at our school and I've never done Media Studies or anything so can't help you there!) but Music is a very interesting subject. There is very little music theory involved- I've done ABRSM Grade 5 theory and hve needed to use very little of what I learnt there, my teacher has taught me it all from scratch as it's quite different to the A level music we do in the UK.

50% of the course is practical, and is not based on difficulty of the piece, but on its emotional performance and how well you play it, not how technically difficult it is. 25% is coursework, and is not very difficult provided you are computer literate. The exam is also worth 25%: for this you have to complete 6 questions in 2 hours and 15 minutes. 3 are on the set works you learn about in your class with your peers (Xian's Yellow River Piano Concerto and Prokofiev's Classical Symphony for exams 2014 onwards), and the other three are unseen piece that you have to analyse. Of these, one is a western classical piece, one a pop/jazz piece, and one piece of world music. Studying for these three questions means you learn all about different cultures and different types of music. You get to listen to lots of different music from all over the world and from all different periods of history which I found absolutely fascinating.

What I would say though, is that you really do need to be interested in music and different cultures to take the music course- it will be no fun if you just like bebop or are only into country and western music: you have to be prepared to accept all musical cultures because at the end of the day, any one of them could come up in the final exam!

I personally have found music a really interesting course, I didn't do GCSE Music but decided to take it at IB as my teacher said it wouldn't matter so much. There are only 2 of us in our class too, which is definitely a bonus for me which you might not have, but music classes are usually quite small and that's useful because if you are unsure of anything, you can just ask :)

If you would like any more information about the music course (I'm afraid i can't help with film!) don't hesitate to ask :)