Self-study English B HL

Have you asked your coordinator? This is what they are for. They should be doing their job by giving this sort of guidance.

Get your parents to phone him/her up if necessary.

Go for language A if you can fit it in. That is a much better option for where you are heading.

Edited by Blackcurrant

Have you asked your coordinator? This is what they are for. They should be doing their job by giving this sort of guidance.

Get your parents to phone him/her up if necessary.

Go for language A if you can fit it in. That is a much better option for where you are heading.

Since I'm from Finland the school doesn't offer English A. i just sent him a message and waiting for his answer now, however it's 5 months until IB1 starts so he might get the schedule changed or something so that I would be allowed to study English B at higher level and have a chance to get into a top university for law studies, since a lot of people claim English at higher level is necessary.

No English A at your school, in Finland? That seems very odd. In fact, counterproductive, considering the high level of knowledge and ability in English over there.

I understand from some friends that Swedish is a requirement in Finland, but had not realized it would have to be taken as a Language A subject. Strange! Especially when Finns dislike Swedish and there have been referendums(?) or discussions about eliminating it as a required subject.

Edited by Blackcurrant

No English A at your school, in Finland? That seems very odd. In fact, counterproductive, considering the high level of knowledge and ability in English over there.

I understand from some friends that Swedish is a requirement in Finland, but had not realized it would have to be taken as a Language A subject. Strange! Especially when Finns dislike Swedish and there have been referendums(?) or discussions about eliminating it as a required subject.

This whole thing was a big misunderstanding apparently. It was not possible to combine English Hl and Physics HL and the reason I thought about self-studying was that I wasn't pleased with studying english at only standard level. According to my IB coordinator it is very rare that non-native english schools offer English A. However, he said that in our school we do study English A, and there's no English B available for us. So how big will my chances be to get into a top university with a 6 or 7 in English A Lang&Lit SL?

A top score in English A will certainly increase your prospects for entering a top-ranking university. Regardless of level (SL or HL). What matters in the end is that it is English Language A. If you are not planning on becoming a literature professor, then L&L is fine.

Edited by Blackcurrant

A top score in English A will certainly increase your prospects for entering a top-ranking university. Regardless of level (SL or HL). What matters in the end is that it is English Language A. If you are not planning on becoming a literature professor, then L&L is fine.

okay, well there's absolutely zero cahce I would become a literature professor :D