When you write a Paper 2 do you assume the examiner has read your text?

So this question is about Paper 2. When writing a Paper 2 is it safe to assume the examiner has already read the text you are writing about and has studied in detail. The drama texts I am reading are fairly well known but nonetheless should I give lengthy descriptions of the context of the plot or not?

Yes more or less, although you do still want to re-explain to an extent because it shows your knowledge of the text. Especially if you can drop in recurring themes, symbols and references which show depth of knowledge. You should always provide some context because of this and because you need context to truly elaborate your points, but you can refer to it rather than go "In this play, there are three men, the mens names are Bob, Sam and Harry, Bob is a tall man..." ETC!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wait a minute:

If *all* you do is summarize then work, then you lose major points.

And you certainly cannot expect to score in the higher echelons with "lengthy descriptions of context..." because none of this contributes to analysis or argument. And argument is what your response is all about.

There is no need to "summarise at length" for examiners because your understanding and knowledge of the work will come across loud and clear as you build up your argument.

Worried that examiners may mis-mark if you don't put them in the picture? Examiners can tell if you know the work really well from the detail of your explanations, even without having read the work itself. And it is unlikely that they will mark exams on works they are unfamiliar with. They can pick and choose exam papers from the electronic tray and will reject those based on works they do not know.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2

So this question is about Paper 2. When writing a Paper 2 is it safe to assume the examiner has already read the text you are writing about and has studied in detail. The drama texts I am reading are fairly well known but nonetheless should I give lengthy descriptions of the context of the plot or not?

I think you'd have to contextualize a bit in your first paragraph. like blackcurrant said, don't overdo that,

And don't do any interpretations as such.

Understand the criteria before attempting past papers.