Will This kind of mistake cause me to loose a grade in my EE

rinik

I took a math EE and I already submitted it to my coordinator about a month ago. For some reason I decided to read it again and I found 2 mistakes.

I wrote km^7 instead of km^2

and

There was an equation where I had to factor out pi/2 from 3 terms but forgot to multiply one of them with it in the previous equation.

post-125078-0-54761300-1394902644_thumb.

I am really worried because I am evaluating the arch length of an ellipse. This is beyond that options and further maths. I have read in the criteria that we should not try to tackle mathematics we can not understand. I am worried that it may seem like that to the examiner because of the second mistake.

My mentor also didn't write any comments on the yellow cover. This also worries me because when you add it with the mistakes it might suggest that this is not my own work. I maid sure that I wrote sentences for more complex steps to explain everything. Should I be worried?

Particularly in maths where there is right answer and wrong answer, a significant mathematical error would look bad, as you said it demonstrates confusion or lack of double checking.... in that sense, I'm afraid the prognosis isn't good. :( your best hope is that it goes unnoticed/is deemed insignificant, but this seems unlikely. Good luck! /i may be wrong as I'm not a mathematician :)

You can find the criteria for the math HL IA here: http://bit.ly/1iOdQl7.

The m7 instead of m2 error is relatively insignificant and typographical - it should not make a difference.

The second mistake is somewhat more major, but will not result in more than a single-mark deduction.

This type of error would fall under Criterion E, use of Mathematics. The mathematics is clearly commensurate with the level of the course, and based on your IA, you can judge whether your work is sophisticated, rigorous, and demonstrates thorough knowledge and understanding.

As long as this mistake does not lead to an unreasonable outcome, it will only lead to a deduction from a 6 to a 5 - it will not lower a grade of 5 or lower to that criterion further. And this is assuming the examiner notices it.

Hope that helped!

It will prevent you from getting a "precise" which will prevent you from getting a 6 on that criterion: however, as long as these minor errors do not lead to an unreasonable outcome, you will be fine.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell and probably depends on the examiner. My extended essay had a problem I noticed (that my supervisor would not hear me out over and kept assuring me it was A grade and to leave it alone) too - different situation to you though as my issue was that I didn't think my title matched my essay, and it was enough to limit me to a D grade.

In other words, if it's a significant error that undermines the accuracy and relevancy of your entire essay like mine was, then you could be limited to a D. That said, your error may not be deemed as significant as mine was - mine was pretty big. If I'd just got a date wrong, for example, it would probably have barely dropped me to a B.

I forgot to put pi/2 in there. Everything continues perfectly and the researched question is answered. Basically this has no effect on the rest of the essay it might confuse someone because it is missing.

I feel a little better now. Thanks guys :)

I hope the examiner misses it or at least takes it easy on me

You can find the criteria for the math HL IA here: http://bit.ly/1iOdQl7.

The m7 instead of m2 error is relatively insignificant and typographical - it should not make a difference.

The second mistake is somewhat more major, but will not result in more than a single-mark deduction.

This type of error would fall under Criterion E, use of Mathematics. The mathematics is clearly commensurate with the level of the course, and based on your IA, you can judge whether your work is sophisticated, rigorous, and demonstrates thorough knowledge and understanding.

As long as this mistake does not lead to an unreasonable outcome, it will only lead to a deduction from a 6 to a 5 - it will not lower a grade of 5 or lower to that criterion further. And this is assuming the examiner notices it.

Hope that helped!

It will prevent you from getting a "precise" which will prevent you from getting a 6 on that criterion: however, as long as these minor errors do not lead to an unreasonable outcome, you will be fine.

I think OP is referring to the extended essay, not the exploration.

But still, I think this will cost only 1 or 2 marks, it is major but it won't ruin everything.