Maths and Physics for Med?

I am thinking of doing medicine/pharmacy in university.

Should I take Maths HL or Maths SL?

I have been accelerated in maths. So if I take SL I can do my IB exam for that subject next year (2009)

But if I do HL I would have to do it with all my other subjects in 2010.

(Don't ask me why, our school system is very peculiar)

Would medicine degrees require HL maths?

And also

Is HL maths a LOT harder than SL maths? How are they different?

I am definitely doing Chem and bio but would I need Physics?

If so would SL Physics satisfy the requirements?

No, I don't really like Physics but I don't hate it either so if I have to do it I will!!

Thanks!!!!

I have been accelerated in maths. So if I take SL I can do my IB exam for that subject next year (2009)

Weird, that's exactly how it is for us too.

Hiya!

I also wanted to do medicine at university at first, and I was told that to be accepted anywhere subject wise (obv with the right grades), you must take CHEMISTRY and BIOLOGY at HIGHER LEVEL. Maths you can either take at standard or higher, but you cant take maths studies (it must be math methods).

Physics however, is not a subject which usually lets you enter medicine, chemistry is a MUST MUST MUST and biology too (as they usually require for you to take two sciences)

Hope this helps!

Guest Lily Bean
Weird, that's exactly how it is for us too.
LOL REALLY!!!!!

I thought our school was the only one hahaha...

That's because IBO only lets you anticipate a SL subject

That's because IBO only lets you anticipate a SL subject

No actually, I live in the Oceania. Our university starts in February. So that's why our exams are in the November Session. This includes Australia and New Zealand. We do a full diploma just like any of you. Except we take it 6 months later.

Guest Lily Bean
No actually, I live in the Oceania. Our university starts in February. So that's why our exams are in the November Session. This includes Australia and New Zealand. We do a full diploma just like any of you. Except we take it 6 months later.

No. That's not what I meant. You must be thinking I was talking about a certificate subject. I'm not.

To anticipate a subject means to take the exam at the end of your first year of IB instead of at the end of the 2nd year like normal.

So if you start IB in Feb 08, for example, and you anticipate a subject, you'd take the exam in Nov 08. But your other subjects would be taken in Nov 09.

Similarly, in the northern hemisphere, we start IB in Sept 07 and would take anticipated subjects in May 08 and other subjects in May 09. It's the same concept. Anticipated subjects are where you do the subject in 1 year instead of 2. It's got nothing to do with how the school year starts and end.

That's why you can only take SL subjects as anticipated. There's too much material in HL for you to learn in 1 year.

No. That's not what I meant. You must be thinking I was talking about a certificate subject. I'm not.

To anticipate a subject means to take the exam at the end of your first year of IB instead of at the end of the 2nd year like normal.

So if you start IB in Feb 08, for example, and you anticipate a subject, you'd take the exam in Nov 08. But your other subjects would be taken in Nov 09.

Similarly, in the northern hemisphere, we start IB in Sept 07 and would take anticipated subjects in May 08 and other subjects in May 09. It's the same concept. Anticipated subjects are where you do the subject in 1 year instead of 2. It's got nothing to do with how the school year starts and end.

That's why you can only take SL subjects as anticipated. There's too much material in HL for you to learn in 1 year.

Oooo I kind of get it now..!

IB should be completed within 2 years. But in our school, if you want to do HL IB, it would take you three years!

So I probably won't take it...

Edited by MistyRose

• 4 weeks later...

i heard UK schools require you to also take physics?

but im not really sure for I'm applying to USA

i say research the school you want to go to - all schools have different requirements.

i'm also pursuing in the medical field,

and im taking math HL. i'm sure the level doesnt make THAT much of a differen though, but not sure?

i know alot of my friends are taking SL even though they too are pursuing medicine for their futures.

Thanks Sandra:)

Yeah, I'v done some research and I found out that if you wanna do med it's better to take Physics than Maths. Because in med school you are not required to take maths, however, a large proportion is dedicated to Physics. Some of my friends are planning to take Psychology instead of Physics. I personally think it is easier to catch up in psych than it is in Physics!

I am thinking of doing medicine/pharmacy in university.

Should I take Maths HL or Maths SL?

Would medicine degrees require HL maths?

And also

Is HL maths a LOT harder than SL maths? How are they different?

I am definitely doing Chem and bio but would I need Physics?

If so would SL Physics satisfy the requirements?

No, I don't really like Physics but I don't hate it either so if I have to do it I will!!

Thanks!!!!

it actually depends on the university you plan on applying to. because most universities i've checked, they require HL maths and 2 sciences, at least one in HL and one in SL. Chem is a definate compulsory science subject. i guess the not so reputable universities would be slacker in their prerequisites for maths.. but the unis i've checked, they're all ranked first in their respective countries.