SL Chemistry vs SL Physics

Macaroon

Guest B.E.P.

I find SL chemistry to be much easier than SL physics in terms of workload and content. Especially because you're Nov 2016, which means you'll get the new syllabi for the sciences. From what I've seen, Chem SL is easier.

I took HL Chemistry and SL Physics, and to me, I found physics to be harder. While there may be a bit of work involving getting around the sheer number of concepts in HL chem, physics was a downright struggle for me because there had been a lack of resources that helped me learn the course, and they weren't very good.

I found the concepts in physics, although fewer, to be more difficult to grasp, as it is essential to know how the rules of physics work which dictate how you lay out your equations. I come from a relatively strong math background as well; you may learn to find that understanding physics is a much more valuable asset than being good at math in Physics SL. Everything came to be very straightforward in Chem HL, and in my curriculum, Chem SL is even easier than our core Grade 12 Chemistry.

In the end, it all boils down to your personal preference; I found that physics was a lot harder. I hope you don't decide to study chemistry in the future if you end up choosing SL Chemistry. It's been about 2 years, but the general consensus seems to be that chemistry is the easier course. Their workloads are pretty much the same.

• Like 1