Switches from Econ to Psychology

Koreahj

Hi, I'm a 1st year IB student who is taking Economics HL. So this is the second semester, about 3rd quarter, and I'm deciding to change to Psychology HL, just because my Econ teacher is really bad and he often doesn't know what he is doing. I won't care if this subject was not Economics, because other courses don't require so much help from the teachers but I think in Economics teachers are very important.. And if I move to Psych HL, will I be able to catch up if I try hard enough? I heard that Psych is mostly about memorizing terms and applying it with the concepts, and I'm kinda confident with it cuz I'm confident at memorizing things.. Thanks! :)

Hey! I think you shouldn't have problems studying Psychology. In fact, I studied Economics throughout the first year of IB. After the final examinations, I was put into psychology right at the beginning of the second year and I scored a 6. It is actually a very interesting subject, and you won't be troubled by diagrams and calculations. Psychology examinations test your understanding, analysis, interpretation and use of research studies. Yes, it is true that there is a lot of memorizing in Psychology involved and because you claim to be confident about it, Psychology should be a fun ride.

By the way, you have a lot of time to "catch up". Although a lot of stuff is inter-related, it is pretty straight forward to understand. What I mean to say is, if you have a cycle test coming up, you don't need to worry about the previous chapters. However, when you have your final examination in Year 1, you will have to study everything. A lot depends on your Psychology teacher as well. When I joined Psychology late, my teacher took out about one hour for me and explained me the concepts in brief. If you can request your teacher to do the same, you will have understood the stuff. Then it is all about memorizing.

Edited by helpfulbucket