How much would you value the 'social' aspect of university?

thirdculturekid

Hi everyone!

Now that we're all getting our offers, we have to finally decide on where we really want to go. I've just gotten an offer from LSE for international relations, and now I am confronted with the fact that I am so torn between all the academic opportunities in London, and the quaint and social atmosphere of Durham. For the past few days I've been researching around, and still can't seem to compare the two, seeing as they're polar opposites in nearly every way!

Though Durham is quite small, there's the collegiate system which means that everyone seems to be given a chance to participate in sports and arts if they wish. There are loads of activities you can do at the uni which don't actually revolve around the academics, which in a way could mean that I can grow more as a person there. On the other hand, there's LSE, that is renown for its prestige and quality teaching. I'd be living and breathing international relations every day, but from what I've read on the student room, the social aspect seems absolutely horrible! I see Durham more of a social experience, and LSE as an academic one...

Would anyone have some insight as to how else I can find a way to really figure out which may be best? How much would you value the 'social' aspect of university in relation to the rest of the 'uni experience'?

I think you shouldn't consider these universities as polar opposites. Obviously they are placed in very different parts of england but saying that a university in london doesn't offer a social life is crazy. There is so much social life in london in and out of university. I have a friend who goes there and she is very happy both academically and socially. I haven't read the student room comments but I know you can't base your judgement on them. LSE is infinitely better for international relations. Durham is a top university as well but you will have a much more respected degree at LSE. My advice: visit the universities! I know it can be hard to convince your parents but it really is worth it. Only then can you make a decision that you won't regret. Maybe you'll the Durham environment better who knows.

Good luck!