IB Theatre question for Sunday

Fenella Kelly

When you are working on your Research Investigation, which of the following is the recommended sequence to formulating your question?

a) Find a play and then research the practice that play is from, and then formulate a question

b) Start with the practice, research it in depth, find an aspect that there are lots of sources on, and interests you, then find a play that implements that aspect

c) Start with an aspect, for example masks, and then find a play and research a practice that matches?

Personally I started with the second option, just because it seemed like the most logical sequence of actions. Also because it leads to you being guaranteed to find an important aspect within the practice rather than potentially having to switch plays/aspects if there is not enough source material to pull from. I would recommend the second but honestly students should just do whichever one they prefer and are most comfortable with.

• 1 month later...

For my RI, I spread out a bunch of scripts on the floor in my bedroom, closed my eyes, and spun around choosing the one my finger landed on when I opened my eyes. If you want to go the route of picking a play then an aspect of the performance to research, make sure you choose a play that strongly employs conventions of a theatre style so you have enough to talk about.