Is my understanding of continuous probability distribution alright?

Cassy L.

Hey im doing math exploration on norm-referenced grading, and i decided to add on a more complex explanation to bell curve in hope to earn some smiley faces...

Im SL student so never learned anything about it, the paragraph is the essence of an hour on wiki, i just wanted to make sure my understanding is alright,

i know it is not sophisticated or anything, but it is my accomplishment to put it in my own words.. plagiarism is sin, intelligent manipulation is gold..

just see if i got my basics right...

Continuous probability distribution has the probability density function, and its random variable can take on continuous values. The probability density function is a function that describe the chance of a random variable becoming a certain value. The probability of this random variable falling within specific interval of values is calculated by the integral of the function in that interval. Like what I learned in calculus, the definite integral is bound by the graphed function, which in this case, the probability density function, the x-axis, and the vertical lines of the enclosing interval, left bound value and right bound value.

thanks to whoever answer this ... before my due date...which is in the next 12 hours

I think there's a problem with this part 'The probability density function is a function that describe the chance of a random variable becoming a certain value. ' because for continuous distribution, P(X=a)=0, so it's more correct to say The probability density function is a function that describes the chance of a random variable falling between 2 values a and b.

Did you express it in mathematical notations in addition to the word explanation? It'll be more clear that way.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the feedback! ill try to squeeze in any math notations where i can... hard for me since i never learned this ..

I think there's a problem with this part 'The probability density function is a function that describe the chance of a random variable becoming a certain value. ' because for continuous distribution, P(X=a)=0, so it's more correct to say The probability density function is a function that describes the chance of a random variable falling between 2 values a and b.

Did you express it in mathematical notations in addition to the word explanation? It'll be more clear that way.

• 2 weeks later...